momentus xt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamieb63, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jamieb63 macrumors newbie

Need to upgrade my MBP ... early 2011 .... only have ~90GB free space - have LOTS of music/pix and do video editing....

looking at : 750GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200RPM SATA 9.5mm Notebook drive with 16MB Cache - New with 2 Year Seagate Warranty. (SEAST9750420AS)

THOUGHTS??

THANKS a bunch...

2. milliepuppy macrumors member

That 750GB you mention is not an XT hybrid drive ? ...

Which one are you looking to get, the XT or the 750GB ?

3. jamieb63 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Seagate has a 750 Momentus XT in the works with 32MB cache and 8GB SSD hybrid. I may opt for it, if I can't get a decent priced larger SSD before it is released. I too need the size (and the performance). From my research the WD Scorpio 750 GB Black is the drive to opt for (although some of the newer 1TB drives are running rather competitively due to the platter densities, even though they are 5400 and lower RPM drives). I really need help on this as well.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You might also look at this Hitachi: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145534

Said to be more conservatively engineered and thus, presumably, likely to be more reliable. Also silent and I've had good experiences with them. I've tried the Scorpio Blacks and they're fine--significantly more vibration than the Hitachi, but then, I'm more sensitive to that than most.

6. sieken macrumors newbie

any news on a release date for the 750gb momentux XT? the 500gb version was on sale a few weeks ago and now keeps going up in price...

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Due to the recent floodings that have happened, most HDD will be increasing in price due to the manufacturing plants being affected. We can only hope that the holiday sales will keep those in check.

8. echosky81 macrumors newbie

Prices will likely keep going up on all hard drives because of the flood in Thailand that is affecting multiple manufacturers. Also before you buy the Seagate XT check out their forums because I remember when I was interested in buying one it had tons of problems in the MBP which is why I opted for a SSD instead.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Those problems were not just related to the MBP. It had issues all around. I have one and have been pleased with it from day one, but as with everything, your experiences will vary. In defense, they have sold over 1 million of those drives to date and there are nowhere near 1 million complaints on their forums, so like everything else, you only hear about the negative, most don't post the good. When someone is happy and content they are less likely to say anything good or bad.

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Very well said!

11. monsieurpaul, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

monsieurpaul macrumors regular

I own a Momentus XT 500. No problem with it, but it doesn't seem really faster than an ordinary HD.

For the best price/performance ratio, you should consider the combo HD + SSD in optibay

12. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

You definitely seem more of a highly demanding consumer than anything else.

I work with large 1080p/2k and even 4k video files. Talk about space?

Your best bet is to buy a relatively old (C2D/C2Q), fit it in a huge full tower case and shove as many drives as you can in there. Work via airport/ethernet/airdrop - you can RAID, backup, and even run it as a fully functioning computer.

Otherwise it's easier to go with several externals.
    Fit a 1TB Blue in Optibay if you don't use your ODD often.

13. RevB52, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

RevB52 macrumors newbie

FWIW--I've had a Momentus XT in my 2011 MBP 15" 2.0 for 3 months now. Works great. Much faster than the OEM drive. Hit restart to fully back up in about 35 secs. with Lion (was faster with Snow Leopard). I saw a lot of bad reviews, mostly from bare kit buyers. I bought a retail box (different model number than the bare drives) with firmware .26. I've been very pleased.

You might consider a small SATA 3 ssd and replace you optical disk with a large conventional hd. That's the route I'll eventually take.

14. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

I've had no issues with that drive since I've had it in my pro. I bought mine from newegg around june sometime for about $85, but as mentioned, it'll be awhile before we see those prices again.