Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I'm watching the practice session last night (1am) and they'd show three or four corners then cut to a commerical. Not to mention that the show was joined in progress. Being an F1 fan in the states sucks. As does Speed TV.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
iTwitch said:
As does Speed TV.
SPEED only sucks partially. Before Fox bought it, Speedvision was awesome. It was dedicated to going fast, on land, sea, or in the air (wether in a plane or otherwise ;)). Heck, they even showed every shuttle launch live. Ever since Fox bought it, they dropped the plane coverage, and I think the boat coverage too. Motorcycles are limited to a few hours on Tuesday evenings, when they used to have the better part of the afternoon, and whenever they can fit a race in. It seems like the channel is 60% NASCAR, and left the other 40% for the rest. As for the F1 coverage, why the **** are you watching the practice anyway? It doesn't mean anything, and the only bearing it has on the race itself is when someone blows an engine. You might as well watch preseason testing.
Of course, I happen to believe that Speed has one of, if not THE best commentating team for F1 in the English speaking world. A former F1 driver (David Hobbs), former Bennetton mechanic (Steve Matchett. You may have seen him engulfed in flames in 1994. He's also written a few books) and Bob Varsha, who can actually make sense 99% of the time, unlike a certain Englishman... :rolleyes:

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Counterfit said:
As for the F1 coverage, why the **** are you watching the practice anyway? It doesn't mean anything, and the only bearing it has on the race itself is when someone blows an engine. You might as well watch preseason testing.

I like F1 and would probably watch preseason testing, especially if they had chit-chat and such.

ie. last night they stated that McLaren gave JPM his walking papers.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I thought Monaco was being covered by Fox...the network coverage sucks, as was discussed last time they did it. One more reason to hate Fox.

I agree that the Speed channel broadcast team is very entertaining though...

So where's the official Monaco GP thread, iGAV? ;)

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Lord Blackadder said:
I thought Monaco was being covered by Fox...the network coverage sucks, as was discussed last time they did it. One more reason to hate Fox.

I agree that the Speed channel broadcast team is very entertaining though...

So where's the official Monaco GP thread, iGAV? ;)

Fox will broadcast the race but Speed has practice and qualifying.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I agree that speed does seem to show way too much NASCAR, but I think of all of the other series they show, they give the best coverage to F1. They show the practice, qualifing and race every weekend. I was suprised that they would show all three.

I also agree that the annoucers are some of the best. It's great to hear those guys talk about the racing becuase it seems like they have a really good grasp for what is going on, and they mention other F1 news, such as driver and team speculation for next season all the time.

adam-uk

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
England, UK
Counterfit said:
He's also written a few books) and Bob Varsha, who can actually make sense 99% of the time, unlike a certain Englishman... :rolleyes:

LOL, are you talking about Murray?? He was a character atleast!!

Tho he is no more on our commentary team provided by ITV :( I miss his old-man errors and antics!

"We're GO GO GO!!!"

But yea, it must suck to be in the states for it :rolleyes:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
So I gather this isn't the time to gloat by pointing out that I live in Nice and can just pop over to Monaco and watch the race from the lawn below the Palace, right?

Just checking. :) :)

I think we'll have fun tomorrow.

brett33

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2004
Waco, TX
iTwitch said:
Fox will broadcast the race but Speed has practice and qualifying.

Here in Texas the race is being broadcast by CBS, not Fox.

Can't stand watching the race tape delayed, and then on CBS to boot, why can't they just leave well enough alone and let the Speed team do the race.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Counterfit said:
NO! CBS will be airing the race at 12:)30?)PM EDT, just an hour before the Indy 500.

Your absolutely correct and I knew it was CBS (WJZ 13 here in Balmore) but my brain and fingers were going in different directions. :eek:

Did you catch the controversy? Schumacher on pole??

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
brett33 said:
Here in Texas the race is being broadcast by CBS, not Fox.

Can't stand watching the race tape delayed, and then on CBS to boot, why can't they just leave well enough alone and let the Speed team do the race.

I think showing a few races on broadcast tv is supposed to bring F1 to the masses and increase it popularity in the states? :confused:

Heck, our local CBS station decided to show baseball instead of the Spanish GP. Great way to spread the thrill.

I can live with the delay for a reasonable amount of time, I just avoid all F1 talk for a few hours.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
iTwitch said:
Did you catch the controversy? Schumacher on pole??

Actually as of late yesterday evening (european time) Schumacher's times were scrapped and he has been put at the back of the grid.:D Serves him right!

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
The CBS coverage does suck..... just let Speed do it is what I say.

I don't know if I agree with the penalty imposed on Schumi, but I think what it does show is how much the FIA has messed up qualifing in the sport. What is wrong with letting each car have an outlap, then one lap to show what they got. I liked the qualifing set up last year much better. This stuff is just plain crazy and now, drivers keep blaming other drivers and its hard to say who's right. It seems just by chance someone can get screwed over, or be handed a couple of places because of something that was completely out of their control.

I thought the race was just ulterly disgusting today. Another win for Alonso, and anyone with a good chance to stop it from happening was either penalized or blew up! It sucked. The only good thing was the Schumi was able to get to 5th and grab some points, and the fact that Red-Bull got a podium. All these deserving drivers, Webber, Rosberg, Raikkonen, Trulli, etc. found an undeserving end to their day. Oh, well Alonso and Renault have already won both the championships. Just wonder what Alonso is thinking about next year... whether he really wants out of a team that has put him 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1 so far this year. Good luck next year Fernando...

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Can't say I disagree with the penality, the incident did look very peculiar. However, I think it is way to harsh a penality.

Coulthard on the podium salvaged this race for me.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Jedi128 said:
I don't know if I agree with the penalty imposed on Schumi, but I think what it does show is how much the FIA has messed up qualifing in the sport. What is wrong with letting each car have an outlap, then one lap to show what they got. I liked the qualifing set up last year much better. This stuff is just plain crazy and now, drivers keep blaming other drivers and its hard to say who's right. It seems just by chance someone can get screwed over, or be handed a couple of places because of something that was completely out of their control.
You can see my opinion of the penalty in the Monaco GP thread. ;)
As for qualifying, I think the current setup is better than the single lap, but still not as good as 12 laps over an hour. I think the ideal setup would get rid of the knockout system, and ABSOLUTELY GET RID OF ANY TRACES OF RACE FUEL STRATEGY. Having plans for the race affect qualifying is just plain stupid. And to keep Bernie and the smaller teams happy, require a fast lap within the first 30 minutes, to cut down on crowding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.