money but no plan...MBP 13" 2011 refurb??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPFFCA, Jun 18, 2012.

1. JPFFCA macrumors newbie

I need a computer replacement...and have been saving so long that I can basically buy whatever. I am not in love with the 15" MBPr, but I am the kind of guy who likes to stay "current" with new design changes, etc.--in other words if this is the way apple is heading I would rather follow now than feel "outdated" by all the new designs in 2-3 years. I bought a Powerbook G4 (way back when) the last year before the design change and I'm still sour about it--lol. My question is if I do not go "all out" and buy the MBPr (which I have no real need for)...would it make more sense to buy a refurbished 13" MBP 2011 (some are as cheap as $799 in education store) or just pay the relatively inexpensive $1200 for the new 13"? I understand that USB 3.0 and the IVY Bridge are nice updates, but for what I need it for (a computer to maybe just get by with for awhile) do you see a big difference? If they had the mbpr in the 13" I would have already purchased...

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

How about a 2012 13" Air? You get Ivy Bridge, USB 3, and SSD, a higher screen res than the 13" MBP, and it's lighter and more portable.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurbs are not available in the Education Store. They're only available on Apple's refurb store, and don't qualify for Education discounts.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are only available from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold by any 3rd party or local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd get the Ivy Bridge 13" MBP over the Sandy Bridge flavor that's in the refurb section. you're not getting a huge savings and so you'll get a computer that's a little more current that should last you that much longer.