Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Ok,
I finally got my PC sold (took a little cut on the price though) and I'm ready to pick up my Mac :). But there have been so many changes these past few weeks I'm not entirely sure what I want now.
With the money for the computer and what I've saved up, I have about $1950 to spend. Here are the choices I'm looking at:

1) 20" iMac 2ghz $1700
Pros: Fast, great screen, graphics card, inexpensive (comparitively), big HD
Cons: Built in screen (must go with the computer at upgrade time), not portable (will have to buy a laptop in a year)

2) 12" PB SD + 17" Studio Display (refurb) or Dell 20" Approx. $1900
Pros: Portability and great screen, compact computer
Cons: PB might not be powerful enough, Dell screen :( (could save up for Cinema for later)

3) Save up for 15" 1.67 ghz with 128 VRAM Approx. $2200
Pros: Portable, fast, graphics
Cons: Expensive, no screen to hook up to, kind of bulky

Secret opton #4: Wait until WWDC

However, waiting presents a problem. I have about 37 GB of files on my computer now. I have nowhere to put them. I have an iPod (15 GB to fill), my parent's desktop (20 GB, almost filled with there stuff). Any suggestions?

Anyways, I'm off to AP test but I might be heading to the Apple store afterwards! Thanks again for all the help these past few months :).

Any suggestions welcome.

Oh yeah, I'll be using this for: Web design (light), word processing, light home video editing, watching/burning DVD's, Internet, Graphic work (again light), Power Point, a few games (something light like Sims...I don't care how it works), iTunes, maybe Garageband

amholl

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
Get a 20" 2 ghz imac. You will not regret it. Also, if you decide that you wanna upgrade in like 2 yrs, it will still sell forapprx 1K im guessing.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i say iMac, they are sweet right now, or you could wait if you want, but you seem to need a computer now so i would go for the iMac....i wish i could afford one right now

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
I think WWDC will bring updates to the iBook and Mini line. If you are interested in an iBook, I would wait for that. Hopefully we will see a bump in VRAM to 64mb and other minor increases. You might want to consider getting a 17" iMac now and an iBook later. Otherwize if you don't want an iBook and you are going to buy soon, I'd get the iMac with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. And a case to carry it in.

lasuther

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
id go for the 12"PB with the dell monitor . . . thats what i have, and i like it a lot :) i noticed you said AP test, which implies you will be finishing high school soon and off to college. (not to mention you said you will need a laptop in a year anyway!) and the 12" PB is a great choice for that situation (college) but as a note you cannot get the 17" studio display for the PB, well you can, but you have to throw down like an extra $100 for a DVI to ADC adapter. much better to go with the dell, you can get a 20" wide screen for around $400 if you wait for the right sale/online cupons! but if the idea of a dell monitor really doesnt sound good, then go for the iMac and within a year when you need the laptop, buy a cheap iBook and you should be set (keep the iMac and have both!!)

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
wPod said:
id go for the 12"PB with the dell monitor . . . thats what i have, and i like it a lot :) i noticed you said AP test, which implies you will be finishing high school soon and off to college. (not to mention you said you will need a laptop in a year anyway!) and the 12" PB is a great choice for that situation (college) but as a note you cannot get the 17" studio display for the PB, well you can, but you have to throw down like an extra $100 for a DVI to ADC adapter. much better to go with the dell, you can get a 20" wide screen for around $400 if you wait for the right sale/online cupons! but if the idea of a dell monitor really doesnt sound good, then go for the iMac and within a year when you need the laptop, buy a cheap iBook and you should be set (keep the iMac and have both!!)

Just curious, how does the PB run for you on the monitor? And thanks for letting me know about the Studio Display, I had no idea!!

Right now I'm leaning towards the iMac but I think I may really miss the portability. But I can use the extra funds to add a 1 GB stick of RAM from Crucial and maybe some games. I'm thinking iBooks will be in the $600-800 range (for edu discount) by the time I'm shopping for them, if they continue lowering prices. I'll need the laptop for college, yes (Fall of 2006). I'm just not sure if I want to give up all my portability now.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for what to do with my files if I have to wait before I can get the new computer after I have already shipped off my PC? I took a look and I have more like 21 GB that I really need, but that's still more than I have on my iPod with my music. Also, how do I back up iTunes music if I don't have a computer? I don't want all the songs deleted when I hook it up to the new Mac.

Thanks again!

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
as a current college student i can only recommend to you to go with the portable. Its really nice ALWAYS being able to find a quiet place to study and not have to worry about your roommates or a noisy computer lab where every body is hammering away on the keyboards. my gf currently has an old imac desktop and regrets not getting an ibook or powerbook, but she's going to probably get an ibook now once they are updated.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
mariahlullaby said:
Ok,3) Save up for 15" 1.67 ghz with 128 VRAM Approx. $2200
Pros: Portable, fast, graphics
Cons: Expensive, no screen to hook up to, kind of bulky

I don't know what you've been smoking, but the powerbook is not bulky.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I say go for the 15" Powerbook

You won't regret it. I just bought a 17" Powerbook last week and I love it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
TreeHugger said:
as a current college student i can only recommend to you to go with the portable. Its really nice ALWAYS being able to find a quiet place to study and not have to worry about your roommates or a noisy computer lab where every body is hammering away on the keyboards. my gf currently has an old imac desktop and regrets not getting an ibook or powerbook, but she's going to probably get an ibook now once they are updated.

I kinda agree with that, but i thought i would be using my laptop to take notes in class...that never happened. I think i did once. In hindsight i would have gotten an imac and 12" pb or a g5 PM with an 12" ibook . The laptop is nice cause i can go where ever or lay on my bed, but the HD on laptops stink there so tiny, and i really would like to have it all in one. Also the power, sometimes i feel the power is sluggish.
I guess it depends on what how you feel and what your doing....

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
JzzTrump22 said:
I don't know what you've been smoking, but the powerbook is not bulky.

Compared to the 12" and on trips it is.

Well, I just called the Apple Store. They don't have the 12" Superdrive PB's, Cinema displays, or new iMacs in. So it looks like I'll have to wait. My dad's going to the mall today, though, so I'm gonna send him to have a look for the PB's and displays, because the guy said he wasn't sure on those two, only that they were "constrained" on 12" and they "may" have gotten a new shipment of 20" displays.

So now my biggest concern is backing up my files. I'm worried about my iTunes collection most; I've deleted my iPod's drive TWICE switching between computers. Can I back up music onto an iPod without it replacing everything on it with the new computer's music files (ie nothing).

Thanks!!

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Well, my dad just called to say he got a 12" PB Superdrive at the Apple Store (I decided on the PB because I really wanted the portability; I'll get a display and I can always upgrade to a PM later and keep the PB). I can't wait until this evening so I can play!!

This has turned into a really great day (when I came home, I found an autographed picture of Mariah Carey sitting in my mail, personalized to me...what a shock! If you can't tell, I'm a BIG Mariah fan). :) :)

THANKS EVERYONE!

Next stop, 20" display.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
mariahlullaby said:
Well, my dad just called to say he got a 12" PB Superdrive at the Apple Store (I decided on the PB because I really wanted the portability; I'll get a display and I can always upgrade to a PM later and keep the PB). I can't wait until this evening so I can play!!

This has turned into a really great day (when I came home, I found an autographed picture of Mariah Carey sitting in my mail, personalized to me...what a shock! If you can't tell, I'm a BIG Mariah fan). :) :)

THANKS EVERYONE!

Next stop, 20" display.

Congratulations on your new 12" PowerBook. Even with the new PB I would highly recommend an external FireWire HD. A great way to back up your files and keep them safe.

I really enjoy my Mercury Elite, it automatically updates my files. It was recommend by Bob Levitus "Dr Mac." It's the one on the left.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
wdlove said:
Congratulations on your new 12" PowerBook. Even with the new PB I would highly recommend an external FireWire HD. A great way to back up your files and keep them safe.

I really enjoy my Mercury Elite, it automatically updates my files. It was recommend by Bob Levitus "Dr Mac." It's the one on the left.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

Thanks for the link!! Yeah, I'm definitely going to be looking in to a external drive; that's why I didn't upgrade this one to 100 GB, since I knew I'd be getting one later anyway.

Well, I have the PB home and I'm typing this message on it!!!!! I LOVE IT!! Words do not describe :) :) (very surreal). I thought I would really dislike the display; I ADORE it. Sure it's tiny, but I kind of like it that way!! It's so compact and light. I compared it next to my PC WXGA or whatever it is (glossy screen too) and there's really not much difference!!

I still have to figure out how to get this wireless connection between my PC to work; I got them connected but I just can't figure out how to access files. But that's what tomorow is for; today is for playing! I also picked up a wireless keyboard and mouse from Apple, love those too. Synced up perfectly (as did the AP card, withing seconds of turning on the computer and I was browsing the net).

Question: I got a $100 mail in rebate with the purchase of the computer. I also got one emailed to me; if I purchase a Cinema display online can I send one it for the display and one in for the PB? I plan on getting a 20" to hook this up to in about a month :). Then, I'm upping the RAM to 1.25 GB.

THANKS AGAIN MACRUMORS!! I'VE SWITCHED!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mariahlullaby said:
THANKS AGAIN MACRUMORS!! I'VE SWITCHED!

Welcome to the light side of computing.

The 1 GB of RAM stick will help a LOT. And the 2nd screen is very nice. You can run your PowerBook in clamshell mode, and use that external as primary (and only) with the wireless keyboard and mouse. That would be awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.