Money management software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by duelingdragons, Feb 21, 2008.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Preferably freeware... I want to use GNU Cash, but I fail @ installing things from source and such. Looks way too complicated for me.

Thanks!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Install Fink (http://www.finkproject.org/).

Open Terminal.

Type fink list gnucash.

Type fink install gnucash.

Job done. That is the easy way to install open source programs. Obviously if you install from source you get other benifits.

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

It ain't free, but iBank (the version 3 beta) is phenomenal. Beats anything else out there, and I've tried Cha-Ching, Quicken and a host of others.

4. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Neither is free, but I just did a pretty detailed comparison of the current versions of iBank and Cha-Ching. You can read the entire review HERE.

5. iNewbie macrumors regular

I wish one of these programs would actually download transactions directly from the back like Quicken and Money does.... Not having that is a real bummer...

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

iBank 3 (currently in beta) will do direct downloads.

7. Kriggely macrumors newbie

@kfordham - good review, thanks for sharing.

I have relied on MS Home & Business for years to do my personal and small business accounting. After switching to Mac eight months ago, I have been disappointed to not find a Mac software equivalent to it. That is one of the few remaining apps that keeps me having to run XP in Parallels.

It looks like the combination of iBank & iBiz might be getting there. I am going to give them a closer look.

8. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

As BaldiMac stated, the iBank3 beta will download directly from your bank if it supports it. I tried the iBank3 beta and thought it was a bit "busy". I'll probably give it another try though.

@Kriggely One of the primary reasons I still use XP is because of MS Money Small Business Edition 2005 (and Outlook with my Exchange account at work). It still works fine and does exactly what I need. I haven't really seen any Mac software that will create a Schedule C for you.