Monitor: Advice As To What Would Best Suit My Needs!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by proddy, Feb 7, 2016.

1. proddy macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Macbook Pro Retina and I use it for doing web browsing, videos, editing photos in lightroom and I'm just starting out in video editing too!

However I'm now looking to up my game and go for a monitor i can attach my Macbook Pro to. However Im also in the market for a new a TV at the same time, so I'm looking to see if its possible to maybe just buy one all singing all dancing monitor that can suit all needs. Here are what i need it to have / what i want to use it for.

-Macbook Pro Retina attached via Thunderbolt port
    -Virgin Media Tivo Box attached via HDMI
    -Amazon TV (Kodi) attached via HDMI
    -PS4 for gaming attached via HDMI
    -Finally id like it to have the possibility to have a windows PC Attached also as i'm currently building a high-power PC to run CAD software.

I've been looking at possibly something like the LG 34" Ultra Wide monitors etc however unsure what this would be like using it TV wise etc.

So peoples thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Pat

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Which model of rMBP? The year/model makes a big difference in what resolution ( 1k, 2k, 4K) and refresh rate (30Hz, 60Hz) it can drive to an external monitor.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

3. proddy thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

This is my MBPR I'm also looking at maybe switching out the Amazon Fire for a Apple TV now I have just found out it can run Kodi and an Amazon App is expected soon.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    2 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Same model I have. You can run a Thunderbolt 2 DisplayPort cable from your rMBP to an external monitor and do up to 4K resolution at 60Hz. You do not want to do 30Hz as there can be huge eye strain from 30Hz refresh. Personally I use a Dell UP2414Q that does both sRGB and Adobe RGB gamuts. I wanted the Adobe RGB gamut to use in editing photos in LR and plugins.

There is a long thread in this forum about hooking up Dell monitors.

Later this spring Apple will likely introduce a new series of Macs that have Skylake CPUs, a chipset that supports USB-3.1 and TB3 plus, start using only USB-C physical ports. If so, they could also introduce an updated Thunderbolt display that could do up to 5K. Your rMBP could not drive it at 5k; however, it likely could at 4K.

5. proddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! would the Dell suit the other items I've put down or would it still be better off getting a TV and a monitor?

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Personally I don't want to watch TV on a screen small enough to use as a monitor. And I don't want to do computer work on a large low resolution TV screen that was meant to be seen from across the room.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

CAD on a TV is a nightmare - spare your eyes and stick to an actual high-res monitor for that particular task.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3