Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by the_nole, Mar 7, 2009.

1. the_nole macrumors newbie

I'm in between a transition. I have a DP 1.8 G5 that still runs well but I'm looking at picking a MBP soon (I'm hoping for a new 15" in June, but I'll still use the G5 till it really dies)

My main screen (Lacie CRT 19") just died on me and trying to replace it. Looked at the apple LED 24", but the connections wont work on the g5.

Price range is about $800; I'm a photographer willing to pay for the premium. Lacie? Viewsonic? Dell? Mini display port KVM soon?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

HP LP2475w or if you want a better display see if you can find an NEC LCD2490WUXi on offer.

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Lacie do a great, premium range of LCD's, so if you have the money they'd be my first choice.

4. the_nole thread starter macrumors newbie

after reading some reviews on Amazon, the HP LP2475w seems like a great monitor but it's hit or miss on quality control issues (color gradations, dead pixels).

bumping up to the NEC LCD2490WUXi or even a Lacie would put me in 1K range.

the LP2475w + i1 sounds like a nice way to go if the monitor is delivered as promised

5. tufaw macrumors member

Hope you'll find something worthy to replace it with. I still cry when I think about the deaths of my old aperture grille CRTs with their lovely gamuts.

6. YoshiKing macrumors newbie

Mate, if your looking for a display that's top stuff, Its definitely a Samsung. They go as small as 22" I think. Beautiful display.

YoshiKing

7. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Dell 2408WFP

Said to be the Best 24" Display under $1000.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Dell 2408wfp seconded.

Color Support: 16.7 million colors; 110% color gamut
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Those are the most important things for what you do, and Dell delivers for a low price and great track record.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are sub $1000 displays with better panels and the 2408WFPs have their own array of issues, especially on early versions. Not that it isn't a godo display and the refurb and often discounted prices are great.