monitor advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DetroitRockCity, Sep 19, 2009.

1. DetroitRockCity macrumors member

So, I will more than likely be upgrading from my iMac to a nice new Mac Pro.
    I need some advice on monitors.

I will be doing quite a bit of HD video editing on final cut, and light photoshop work. I know TN panels are not the best.... but they are more in my price line (especially after buying a Mac Pro). However, are there any cheap good panel monitors out there ( I forgot what they are called. Basically anything better than TN).

The monitor I use right now as a second display is an Acer H213H 21.5 inch monitor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009157
    I do have to say, out of the LCD monitors I have owned it is one of the best. There is slight bleeding in dark scenes but it is nothing compared to the amount of bleeding in my LG monitors.
    I like that it is 16:9, because I do a lot of 1080i/p editing on it.
    Should I just go with another one of these Acers, or find something better out there?

The color quality (in my eyes at least) is about 95% that of the iMac's. Things seem to have a little more yellowish-tint on the Acer monitor.
    Also, it is not glossy like my iMac.

Anyways, what do you think? I am a n00b when it comes to anything outside the realm of TN panels.

2. illibball087 macrumors regular

get a dell 2209wa it can be found for mid to low 200's and it'll kill and of those tn's

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I have a HP 2009M and the colors are vibrant and has decent speakers.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It will, but it is only 1680x1050 resolution.

To the OP: if you want a good quality display then you need to be starting with the Dell U2410 or HP LP2475w. These are H-IPS displays (same as Apple use, though different revisions of the panel) and when calibrated are perfectly suitable for professional use. The step up after that is to $1000 and beyond. The HP is cheaper, but you can find coupons for the Dell to get it for below $500 if you check often.