Monitor advise

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Breder, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Breder macrumors newbie

I'm putting together a Mac desktop system. A monitor(s) decision . I'm tempted by the 30" Gateway XHD3000. Its highly rated by CNET but I'm not confident that its a good match as a computer display. I do mostly web and video work so commercial printing accuracy is secondary. If anyone is knowledgeable on this topic, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have a client that has over 40 Macs and they ALL use 30" ACDs. I asked once if they would consider other monitors to save money. Nearly EVERY person I have talked with loves their monitor and says the color is PERFECT on the 30" ACD. I think you should shell out the cash and get an ACD. I think nearly everyone that knows about IPS monitors will say the ACD is a great product and the value for what it is is pretty good.

3. Breder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

I hear you Scottsdale, but the ACD costs twice as much... but perhaps your right.

4. fricker macrumors newbie

xhd3000

I can't get my 17" PowerBook G4 to work at the highest (native) resolution 2560x1600 on the Gateway xhd3000 30" display. It flashed for a fraction of a second then goes black and cycles in this manner every 2 seconds. My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 and I am running leopard. This graphics card is capable of running a 2560x1600 external display. I am able to use my laptop flawlessly with the external 30" Mac Cinema display at 2560x1600. My impression is it is a compatibility issue. I have the same problem at lots of other lower resolutions. But some low resolutions do display without flashing. Is there a way to change the synch rate or timing?

Any comments/fixes/workarounds/suggestions/similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I haven't heard about the specific monitor that you're using, but in my experience the 30" ACD is popular just because of its size and not for any special visual qualities.