Monitor and Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zip120, Dec 11, 2009.

1. zip120 Guest

I'm attending college next year (just accepted to cornell!), and I'm planning to purchase my first macbook pro after the next refresh. I just got an acer X213H monitor, and it's really nice, but the resolution makes everything so small that it's hard to read. It's 21.5 inches and the native resolution is 1920x1080, and it's fuzzy when I lower the resolution. Can macs adjust better to this high resolution on a relatively small screen than windows can? I believe the 21.5 inch imac has the same resolution, and there's no way that the text on macrumors is this small for all users. If not, and I decide to replace it, what monitor would you recommend? I got this one for $110 on cyber monday, and I'd prefer not to spend more than $150 or $200.
    Also, I'd really like a wireless laser printer, and if it's not too expensive I'd love one with color. The Brother HL-2170W looks good, and it's $120 on amazon, but it has no color. Right now, dell has the 1230c on sale for $100, and it has color, but no wireless. Is there a way I can plug in a wireless router and connect to a mac, or is there a different wireless color laser out there thats not too expensive? I'd rather not to go over $150 on the printer.
    Thanks!

2. zip120 thread starter Guest

forgot to mention.. scanner would also be nice on the printer, but not a necessity

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

If 1920x1080 is too small for you, then you might try looking around for a 20-22" screen that runs at 1680 x 1050 resolution. It might be easier on your eyes. You can also increase the font size on any webpage you view if the text is too small.

4. zip120 thread starter Guest

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hold Command and hit the + key to increase text size in Safari. Its not system wide, but it makes things a bit easier online. (Works in Firefox, too - and on a PC, for that matter; just use CTRL instead of Command)

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

congrats on cornell (damn it gets coooooold there)

for your use, I would stick with a B/W laser printer and skip the color everything.

Color toner costs will kill you. 4 toners @ $80 per = $360 for TONER, ouch

If you want to print color photos, send them to Target, or Walgreens, or Costco, they are like 10¢ a print. There are also TONS of online photo printing places that offer free prints just for signing up.

Easiest way to get a wireless printer is to pony up for one. Next best thing is an airport express, which can be useful for many other things as well.

Oh, and have fun, rush a fraternity -- great way to make friendships for life (as well as meet some great women =) (I vote for Delta Chi)

7. zip120 thread starter Guest