Monitor as a TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MBP123, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MBP123 macrumors regular

How would I use an LCD monitor as a TV (non HD content) if it is not plugged in to a computer. IE if I wanted to buy a Dell display, how could I use that as a TV and only a TV, if it is not plugged into a computer, and I just have a coax cable?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if the monitor has a coax input and/or rca inputs you would be able to

if it just has vga and dvi, i dont think you can unless you use a product like eyetv with your computer

3. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

it depends on the inputs of the display and the outputs of the source (cable box/ satellite) any specifics? what outputs does your source support?

4. Rdrnatn24 macrumors newbie

Go to http://rtv-veg.com/ and they have something that should work for you. They add TV tuner functionality through the vga input on your monitor, no computer needed.

5. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Don't forget audio. You will need some external speakers to hear anything. You will probably also need an adapter or 2 to connect the speakers to whatever audio out the tuner has.

6. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

KWorld also makes some modules like the RTV units, and I think most of them have internal speakers/external audio out. These are the cheapest options, roughly $50. If you want to record TV, then you should get something along the lines of an EyeTV.