Monitor brightness after installing Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Newmac50, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Newmac50 macrumors newbie

I have successfully installed Win 7 64-bit on an iMac 24-inch (early 2009, recognized as 'iMac 9,1') and everything works (almost) perfectly... only I cannot adjust monitor brightness, it's now set permanently to maximum. The keys on the Apple keyboard that allow you to do the adjustment do not work. Is there any other way? Any ideas will be most appreciated :)!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers from your Mac OS X disc after installing Windows? Then fully update them to version 3.2 using Apple Software Update?

B

3. Newmac50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks, I will try that!

4. tetralite macrumors newbie

27" iMac with Win7-64 -- Bootcamp 3.2 brightness turned all the way down and Desktop Lighter (google it) installed helps, but backlight still too bright. Desktop is set to solid black color and still too bright. Tried VistaShades (works with Win7) and that didn't make anything better -- was not satisfactory, however it did demonstrate that the iSight worked as a light level detector (but not satisfactorily!). Can only find people online with same problem and no good solutions. Since Bootcamp works on a 27" iMac, why does it have a brightness control that is incapable of reducing the brightness throughout the full range, i.e., why not make it adjustable all the way to total dark screen? The color adjustment settings tell you to use the monitor's brightness control, but, of course, there is no such control on an iMac. Maybe some people reading this will find Desktop Lighter to do an adequate job, but I find the lowest setting is still too bright and does not affect the mouse pointer that is full brightness. Very annoying!

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

With my first gen i5 I used the advance graphics options provided by the ATI driver to drop brightness down. It was set to max by default.