Monitor buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by devincco, May 21, 2007.

1. devincco macrumors member

devincco

Looking to make the move form my trusty 17" CRT to a nice new LCD. Looking at getting either a 19", 20", 20" Widescreen, or 22" Widescreen. What would you guys suggest? I mainly do basic home/offie type work, email, internet, etc. I'm getting more into Digital Photography so I would like something that would work nicely with that, but nothing too fancy. What would you all suggest?

2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Take a look at Dell's to be honest. They offer a great value for the screen and what they have included. The Apple LCD's are just horribly overpriced.

3. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I would recommend checking out Samsung's as well. Reasonably priced for what you get.

4. jaycrew macrumors member

I just ordered a 19inch widescreen Samsung from buy.com Using my Google checkout $10 off and a future $20 rebate, the monitor will come out to $160.

5. devincco thread starter macrumors member

devincco

These are a couple that I was looking at....

These are a couple that I was looking at, not necessarily from this store however. I'm just torn between the sizes.

Samsung 206BW 20" WS - http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4600436&nav=2

Samsung 226BW 22" WS - http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4603219&nav=2

Maybe the Samsung 906BW 19" WS - http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4600472&nav=2 19" WS just seems a tad small though.

Or should I skip WS all together and just go with a standard 19" or 20" LCD? Thoughts? I know anything that I move to will be an improvement on my 17" CRT. Also, I don't do any gaming so I really don't need any thing super fast, but that is becoming harder to find these days.

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

You say you're torn between the sizes. Decide based on price then. I calculate sqaures inches per dollar sometimes. So maybe find the store you're looking for.

If you still have a CRT, I think maybe you're the type that wants something that will last? For years? In that case, I might have to also suggest the Dell, even over the Samsung because the warranty is better and you can extend it for relatively cheap (I've seen an additional 2 years for $25).

Look at dealmac.com for occasional deals on Dells and Samsungs too.

I'd keep the WS. It's better for watching a movie now and then. Also a widescreen is useful in general if you want to edit two word docs side by side or something.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I ordered a Viewsonic 22" VX2235wm widescreen LCD for $200 ($242 after shipping and tax) yesterday. It should arrive on Wednesday, I just couldn't pass it up at that price. I'll tell you how I like it when I get it. It's got great reviews over at newegg with 5 out of 5, so it should be really nice.