monitor cable cutted

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vgruppo, Dec 10, 2007.

1. vgruppo macrumors newbie

I have a monitor trinitron sony 17" purchased with the mac G3, 10 years ago.
    today, the cable of the monitor is cutted and I doesn't succeed to use anymore.
    Could someone give me a link or of the information on the scheme of the connections and relative colors?
    thanks in advance, Valerio

2. rickiac macrumors newbie

monitor cable cutted

If the monitor cable is hardwired to the monitor, you should contact Sony for repair OR just by a new monitor. Unless you have the proper tools, a CRT monitor should NEVER!! be opened by someone who does not have the proper tool to discharge the electric from the monitor.

A CRT monitor, even if left unplugged will still retain a very HIGH VOLATAGE CHARGE. If you were to touch the wrong part, you will never have to worry about that monitor again because you will not be around to use it.

Only a cable that can be disconnected from the outside should be replaced, in which case, that is a standard monitor cable that can be purchased anywhere.

Better to be safe then sorry, replace a 10 y/o monitor with a new one. Gateway FPD2485W 24" widescreen is a nice monitor and if you catch a sale is usually $100.00 off.:)

3. vgruppo thread starter macrumors newbie

my opinion

Thanks, for the suggestion.
    The monitor is hardwired and to fix it is enough for to settle the correct threads in the correct pin of the plug
    However I have read in various parts on the Web, but it always speaks of connection for cables standard VGA, and here the donkey falls. You knows that the Mac doesn't reveal very of himself.

However thanks also for the suggestion of the Monitor, I will try to look for where I can find it to 100 $.
    Bye

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Look on the machine-end of the cable
    Does the cable end in a VGA plug ( three rows of pins) or in a Mac DB-15 plug (2 rows of pins)?

If it ends in a Mac DB-15 pluf, see if there is actually an adaptor that goes from VGA to DB-15.

Most Sony monitors shipped with a VGA cable, and then added a 'MacSync' adaptor for use on the Mac. If that is the case, you can resolder the cable as normal for VGA.