Monitor Calibration Help?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bingly, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Bingly macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new Eye One Display 2 adapter to calibrate my laptop and iMac displays. My MacBook Pros are 15" - about 3 years old.

After downloading and installing the new updated software for the Eye One Display 2, I calibrated my display and the blues all kind of look purple now. It's very strange and in fact, looks worse than the default "Color LCD" profile.

I have tried re-calibrating several times but the display still looks purple to me. I am running Snow Leopard, which I've read online may present some issues with this device? I'm not sure. I really need to calibrate my display correctly since I am getting in to professional photography and will be working with print labs.

Should I have purchased a different calibration adapter? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

The "pink cast" is a common complaint. A properly calibrated monitor will look rather pinkish at first. After a while, your eyes will adjust to it. That said, some people find they get best results by calibrating to the Native White Point of their monitor, so you might try calibrating again with that setting. Also, for the Eye One Display 2, I recommend the ColorEyes software. They have a free demo that you can try. I think it's much better than the software that comes with the Eye One.

3. Bingly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I'm not sure I can yet justify forking over $175 for the ColorEyes software. I will check out the Demo though. I'm concerned I'm not going to be able to properly edit and color correct my photos if the calibration isn't correct. I have tried adjusting the white point but that only seems to make the problem worse.

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, it's a lot to pay, especially after shelling out so much for a nice calibrator. It is superior software, though, and definitely the most Mac-friendly option on the market right now. It's also no fun paying for test prints to verify you've got everything calibrated correctly. :(

5. sonor macrumors 6502

My first Eye One Display 2 did have a pink cast problem. I tried it on 3 different monitors and it was the same for all of them, so I sent it back and the replacement has been fine.

6. Bingly thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. Yeah, it's way too pink. It's seriously way off. There is no way this is calibrated correctly. I've tried it on two MacBook Pros now with no success.

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I personally have a Spyder 3 pro, and it works just fine in SnowLeopard. I get consistent results across multiple brands of monitors.

8. romanticf16 macrumors newbie

Monitor calibration

I love Apple computers, but no laptop has a monitor of a high enough quality to properly calibrate. Same with the 20" imac. The 24"imac can be calibrated to sRGB standards. I haven't read tests on the newest 27" model.Check www.shootsmarter.com for more information.

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

That's because all laptops use TN panels. 6-bit color, folks. We're in dithering territory here. I've heard in the past some Thinkpads used IPS panels, but all laptops these days are on TN panels. It's kind of a bummer, but I don't expect that to change until OLED gains more traction.

10. Bingly thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 15" MacBook Pros and 24" iMacs. Are you saying it's not possible to calibrate these screens properly? Apple users are just SOL? This doesn't seem right.

11. toxic macrumors 68000

it's possible to calibrate them. laptop screens just won't have the color gamut to show everything properly. there should be no problems with a 24" iMac...other than the glossy screen :rolleyes:

12. sziehr macrumors 6502a

My laptop just will not calibrate it is a 13' macbook late 2008 style. Contrast that to my 24' apple external which calibrated perfectly and looks simply amazing. I hate this laptop makes it impossible to do any real color accurate work on it.

13. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Like I said, you couldn't do really color accurate work on it anyway. Save the real color finishing for a monitor that doesn't dither.

14. sonor macrumors 6502

I calibrate my MacBook Pro 17" and it's never going to be great, but it's OK for basic image editing. I get better calibration results when I use the trick that Rob Galbraith talks about on his site.