Monitor calibration software?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vapor matt, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Vapor matt macrumors regular

Hi all another question for the in the know out there.

Iv e just purchased a new monitor an HP LP2475w sip panel and wanted some kind of calibration software to get it as close as i can. don't really want to buy anything though so is there anything around that is a trial of free i can use?

Ive spent enough already!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is built in calibration software with the display preferences panel. That's about as good as you are going to be able to get without an external hardware calibrator.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Software is a tiny part of the equation - the biggest part is actually the hardware sensor used by the software. As such, no, you won't be able to get a "trial" off the net.

That said, the Huey system is cheap.

4. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i use an i1 display 2 for calibrating my monitors.

if you don't want to spend money though, a program called supercal can do a passable job. it's shareware, but you can try it out.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Without a hardware-based sensor (i.e. a colorimeter), the closest you'll be able to get to a calibration is by "eyeballing" it with software-generated patterns. You can get a somewhat accurate calibration by creating a custom profile in Mac OS (ideally, target white should be close to 6500K and gamma close to 2.2). But to really do it right, you really need a hardware sensor.

I own two HP 2475w displays and calibrate them with a Spyder3 Elite. Both of my 2475w's were pretty close to correct out of the box, but two things to watch out for is that they're factory-set to be pretty bright (the brightness really should be at half of what it's set at) and they tend to push reds a bit.

6. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular