monitor choice lg or apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by visualanté, May 16, 2014.

1. visualanté macrumors member

i was settled on apple thunderbolt display for my graphics setup but yesterday i saw the lg 34UM95-P thunderbolt display online...its crazy wide and 99% srgb but less bright....what are your thoughts

2. kelon111 macrumors 6502

You should tell us your budget , what you intend to use the display for (e.g. photo editing) , size constraints ,etc.

3. visualanté thread starter macrumors member

1000...no size constraint and i do large format digital art

4. ranmyaku macrumors newbie

I went by MicroCenter today to check this thing out. It is pretty sweet for multitasking. Find a store near you and just go have a look.

I'm getting a new Mac Pro for work and just got a Mac mini for home.

I'm sold on getting it for work (I like to have open side by side, 3-4 word files, spreadsheets, etc.).

For home I think I'm going to look into something else though.

5. andyrugbyref macrumors member

Personally I would rather run 2 20in monitors :) cheaper and more flexible.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am trying to understand your needs here and it seems you do digital art (but failed to say what kind - for web or print or ...?)

The first thing I would be looking at is as you noted the colour gambit sRBG and ease of calibration. The rest is superfluous unless rise and fall characteristics are important.

It is not untypical for folks doing graphics to get Eizo or NEC as example.

7. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I am actually going through a similar decision, I already have the Thunderbolt Display and am thinking of getting the LG 34UM95-P or 4K display to replace it.

For my money the LG is a much better product, i would absolutely get it over the current Thunderbolt Display. The built in KVM switch with thunderbolt 2 are awesome features that no other monitors offer.

I am Probably going to wait until the new macs get released to see if they release a 4K Thunderbolt Display before I decide, but if there are no Thunderbolt Display i will upgrade to the LG

8. PilotWoo macrumors regular

I'm in a similar position, i thought it would be the atd until i saw the lg.

Would an early 2013 macbook Pro retina 13" (Hd4000) drive the lg at its native resolution when connected via thunderbolt?

9. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Yes, you wont be playing any games on it but it should be ok for most things.

It's actually pretty similar to your Macbook display, 2560x1600 is not that far off of 3440x1440.

About an extra million pixels to push, so most of the problems you have with your current laptop will be the same or slightly worse.

10. PilotWoo, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

PilotWoo macrumors regular

Thanks for your response. Would it be able to do 60Hz? I dont game, it would mostly be used as extra real estate for productivity.

I would hang a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter off it, and use the usb 3 ports too.

Unless apple updates the atd soon, i think the lg is the better choice.

11. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I agree the LG is miles better then the current Thunderbolt display.

To answer your question it should do 60Hz when connected to thunderbolt, the website says 60Hz for Thunderbolt 2 and display port and 50Hz for HDMI and DVI but i would assume 60Hz is good for thunderbolt also.

12. RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

Does TB have enough throughput to support 4k at 60 Hz?

I just kind of assumed nMP went all TB2 in order to support 4k monitors; maybe the extra capacity was needed for other peripherals instead.

For consideration (ie hoping someone who knows more than me will chime in :) ).