Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chevelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
I'm planning on ordering a mini and I'm so confused about monitors. There's so many out there. I want a 27". I'll be using it for web browsing mostly and watching TV shows and movies. I want something high quality but I don't want to spend a grand on an Apple monitor. Looking to spend $300-400. Suggestions?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I'm planning on ordering a mini and I'm so confused about monitors. There's so many out there. I want a 27". I'll be using it for web browsing mostly and watching TV shows and movies. I want something high quality but I don't want to spend a grand on an Apple monitor. Looking to spend $300-400. Suggestions?

Newegg has a large selection of monitors with lots of customer reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/LCD-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-20

If you will be web browsing and watching TV then you probably want a resolution of 1920x1080.

IPS panels are generally desirable for image quality, and LED backlighting will make the monitor use less power, make it turn on/off faster, and make it last longer.

Looking for those things, it looks like your best bet is this ViewSonic:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116582

Garden4Gods

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012

If you can handle the reflectivity, this may not be a bad choice:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&redirect=1

Review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2740l.htm

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

The ViewSonic VX2770Smh-LED is a nice IPS display but I'm returning mine for the Dell s2740l. The settings for the ViewSonic are hard to reach and there aren't many adjustments. The biggest problem is the text looks a little too jagged and there's no way to change it because the sharpness setting is greyed out when attached to a HDMI cable. On my other machine I have the Dell s2340l attached with an HDMI cable and I can adjust the sharpness and soften the text and it looks terrific, much better than the ViewSonic. Be careful when dealing with NewEgg and monitors, they charge a 15% restocking fee regardless.
I love NewEgg but I'd avoid them when purchasing a monitor.
The Dell s2740l is currently on sale for $300.

----------

Great choice, beat me to it! I own this and the s2340l and they work really well with my Mac Mini's.

SkiHound

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Check resolutions as well as size. A monitor with Resolution of 2560 x 1440 will not look great if driven at a lower resolution. And HDMI won't support that. you'd need dual DVI or display port.

Chevelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. The Viewsonic looks pretty nice. The Dell looks good too but glare could be a problem.

Also, I don't need built in speakers. I'll be hooking up some good comp speakers.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
The ViewSonic VX2770Smh-LED is a nice IPS display but I'm returning mine for the Dell s2740l. The settings for the ViewSonic are hard to reach and there aren't many adjustments. The biggest problem is the text looks a little too jagged and there's no way to change it because the sharpness setting is greyed out when attached to a HDMI cable. ...

Don't know what that sharpness setting might be doing but it doesn't make much sense. With a digital connection, each individual pixel should be set to exactly the color that the OS specifies, so how could you change the sharpness? Unless it's running the whole image through basically a Photoshop "blur" filter which should ruin image quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.