Monitor Comparable to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jason S., Dec 28, 2009.

1. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I just purchased a Samsung 2333SW, and I am thinking about taking it back. Alone, it looks great, but when placed next to my MacBook Pro, the whites just aren't as white, and the text does not appear as sharp (actually, maybe too sharp).

I currently have it connected via VGA. My mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter should be arriving tomorrow, though I doubt this will make much difference in color or text issue. I am not aware of the differences between the two other than VGA is analog and DVI is digital.

I do some web and graphic design. Nothing major, but I am looking for something fairly cheap that will still compare to the look of the MacBook's display. I am getting more into visual effects and motion graphics, so I'd like at least something better. I don't need anything amazing, but something still close to the MacBook. From my understanding the MacBook uses a TN display, so I am fine with that, though I may be wrong. Also, I am thinking I would like a 21.5" or 22" instead, to better stay consistent with the MacBook's larger, I guess, DPI?

I don't know much about monitors, honestly, so any help would be appreciated.

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

Usually with external monitors they need some calibration done on the colors try doing this thru your utilities its called color sync utility on your mcp and see if you can get the colors to match that way otherwise your going to need a calibration tool..

3. Jason S. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not worried about the colors so much as the text and the bright whites. I've run the color calibration already and got to a similar and acceptable look, but the whites and grey-tones are still near indistinguishable (the alternating row colors in iTunes are practically non-existant).

4. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

I am not sure then I do not think changing out to a mini dvi is going to make that big of a difference maybe you should take it back and look for a Dell wfp series on craigslist for short money but I would try to dvi display tomorrow just in case try this though open preferences and select display then click the color tab and play around with those settings in their that might change things for you..

5. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299