Monitor Compatibility Cross Reference

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AluminumQ45, Jun 1, 2015.

1. AluminumQ45 macrumors newbie

Is anyone aware of a monitor compatibility cross reference for 4K and other 'high-resolution' monitors (like the wide LG 34U97)?

I'm digging through 1000s of forum posts to try and find my next monitor, and it's difficult at best to get a list of what would work with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). Do i have to use HDMI, DL-DVI, etc... 60z?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Quite simple, really:

Your machine can drive anything up to two 3840x2160 monitors at 60Hz via DisplayPort.
    Your machine uses HDMI 1.4, which means that port can't support 60Hz for 3440x1440 displays and higher.

3. AluminumQ45 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. no 4k for me then. if i wanted to do hi-dpi, i'd be scaled to 1080p. i guess that's ok. next questions, what's the best display port monitor @ 3820x2160? :)

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I'm confused. First you write "no 4k for me then" and then you ask for recommendations for 4K monitors...

There's a thread discussing two of Dell's offerings a bit further down. They're quite popular on these forums.

5. AluminumQ45 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i was thinking more 4096 being 4K. i ordered a Samsung U28D590D. It looks like everything uses the same set of panels.

Thanks for your help. I'm new to this whole not buying something apple for my mac, but i'm tired of waiting for an apple 4k.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I see. I suppose that's actually technically more correct. Though UHD and 4K have become rather synonymous for desktop monitors.

- They definitely don't use the same panels. Be aware that that Samsung uses a TN panel, whereas all Dell's 4K offerings use IPS, which provides superior viewing angles, higher contrasts, and better colours.
    If I were you, I'd rethink that purchase. If you really want Samsung, I'm sure they have IPS monitors, too.

7. AluminumQ45 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is why i have the same cinema display since 2005. the samsung arrives tomorrow. i'll see if it looks ok. if it doesn't, it's amazon, i can return it pretty easily and replace it with one of the dells. I really wanted something in silver that matches the rest of my gear, but...

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Dell also used a TN panel for their older P2815Q. The monitor also did not support 60Hz using any its ports. I suggest you stay away from this one.

They have two slightly newer 4K monitors, P2415Q and P2715Q, which are IPS panels and do support 60Hz via Display Port. These two have been quite well received by some forum members here. You can read more about it at:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dell-p2715q-and-p2415q-4k-ips-displays.1816805/

9. AluminumQ45 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the Samsung came today. It's an order of magnitude better than my old Cinema Display HD from 2004. I've also ordered the dell and will see which one i want to keep. Thanks for all the help!