macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
Manchester, UK
Last edited:

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
It may depend on which year iMac you have, but you should be able to get an hdmi to mini display port cable or adapter. I do this with my 2011 iMac on a fairly regular basis.

TheBro72

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
Manchester, UK
It may depend on which year iMac you have, but you should be able to get an hdmi to mini display port cable or adapter. I do this with my 2011 iMac on a fairly regular basis.
Hi,

The iMac is have is the latest model (2015 5K Retina iMac) so I shouldn't have any problems.
Do you know if this cable/adapter available from Apple at all?
if not could you recommend a reputable supplier?

Thanks

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Hi,

The iMac is have is the latest model (2015 5K Retina iMac) so I shouldn't have any problems.
Do you know if this cable/adapter available from Apple at all?
if not could you recommend a reputable supplier?

Thanks
Apple does sell them, but in my opinion they are over priced from Apple. Monoprice, bestbuy, walmart, etc all sell them. I usually purchase from Amazon and get the "Amazon Basics" version since I have prime 2 day shipping. Here is a 3 foot cable for an example https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0134V29UA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492806278&sr=1-1&keywords=AmazonBasics+Mini+DisplayPort+to+HDMI+Cable+-+3+Feet

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Im looking for a small second monitor for my 27" iMac [...]
Looking at the tech spec of the monitor the connectivity is as follows:-

1 x DP (ver 1.2)
This monitor supports DisplayPort. Your iMac supports DisplayPort. The only issue is that the monitor has the full size port, and the Mac has a mini size port.

So - you need a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

Reactions: TheBro72

TheBro72

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
Manchester, UK
This monitor supports DisplayPort. Your iMac supports DisplayPort. The only issue is that the monitor has the full size port, and the Mac has a mini size port.

So - you need a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.
[doublepost=1493713815][/doublepost]1 x mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable later:-

IMG_1812.JPG

Perfect, many thanks for your assistance.