Monitor connection-DP or DVI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dochoc, Jan 21, 2014.

1. dochoc macrumors newbie

Hi

Looking for some advice on the best way to connect up my new monitor.
    Am running a Macpro with the Apple ATI 5770 Graphics card. This has three outputs, one DVI Dualink, and two Dataports.New monitor is an ASUS PA279Q ProArt with max reolution of 2560x1440. What would be my best option to connect this up? This monitor has 10 bit colour rendering if that makes any difference (does my Graphics card even support this?). I have all the required cables for either DVI-DUALINK or DP.Thanks in advance for your help.

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

With regard to 10-bit output, I believe that 5770 supports it, but I'm not sure if Apple does. Someone can help me out here if they know more, but unless you're doing graphic work where you need it, I'm not sure it will matter.

DVI Dual Link or DisplayPort should suit you equally well, so I wouldn't worry about that. They both have enough bandwith to support your stated resolution (DP can handle more than DVI DualLink, but it doesn't matter since you're below the limits in either case). Personally, I'd go with DisplayPort because I like the connector better. :) (Unless you wanted to save the cable for something special.)

I say, use whichever you want.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Since you have the cabling, try both and see if you like one better than the other. If you do try both, let us know if you actually thought one was better than the other and why.

4. djarum69 macrumors member

Don't waste your time trying both. Both are digital and by definition will produce the exact same image. The Apple future is Mini DisplayPort, so why not go straight there?

The only difference is that you can screw in the DVI connector, but the DP is a friction fit.

5. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Actually, DisplayPort has a latching connector, unlike HDMI, which is friction. (DisplayPort, however, is self-latching, so you don't need to worry about it when connecting like you would with DVI--and, of course, Apple's Mini-DP is simply friction fit.)

DVI and DP are both digital but are not electrically the same. While there's really no reason anyone should notice this, it's just worth pointing out that they are not actually the same (unlike HDMI and DVI, which are electrically compatible on the video side).