Monitor connectivity - best options

wayne_rowley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
Bournemouth, UK
Hi there,

I have just bought a refurbished 2018 Mac Mini - i5/256/8. I’m going to upgrade the memory to 32GB and get some external storage.

I will be connecting it to a Dell 34inch ultrawide monitor with a resolution of 2560x1080. I currently connect it to my 2011 MacBook Pro via mini display port to DisplayPort cable, which works fine, but I can’t use that with the Mac Mini.

Would you recommend:

- Using the built in HDMI port and getting a HDMI cable
- Getting a USB-C to Display port cable
- Getting a USB-C to HDMI cable

Or will any of the above do the job?

Thanks,
Wayne

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I will be connecting it to a Dell 34inch ultrawide monitor with a resolution of 2560x1080. I currently connect it to my 2011 MacBook Pro via mini display port to DisplayPort cable, which works fine, but I can’t use that with the Mac Mini.

Would you recommend:

- Using the built in HDMI port and getting a HDMI cable
- Getting a USB-C to Display port cable
- Getting a USB-C to HDMI cable
USB-C to DP is the most full-proof of not having to worry about the display specs.

HDMI to HDMI is great as well, but make sure your Dell display supports the full resolution @ 60Hz using the HDMI input... some displays may limit that to 30Hz which you probably don't want (btw, what model Dell is that? I came up empty with a google search for a Dell with that resolution, but I only gave it a quick look).

The only advantage to using the HMDI port is that you're leaving the 4 TB3 ports available for other things.

Good luck!

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
USB-C to Display port is way to go. I agree with comments from ixx69
>>USB-C to DP is the most full-proof of not having to worry about the display specs.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
It’s a Dell P3418HW.

Not sure on 60hz with HDMI, I’ve always used DP up to now.
Well, I'd guess that HDMI would work, but no way to know for sure without knowing the Dell spec. Whichever way you go, do the forum a solid and test it with the HDMI cable and let us know if you get the full resolution @ 60Hz. ;)
It's appreciated that you're trying to be helpful, and folks might find some good info there about the specs, but just FYI it doesn't provide an answer to the OP's question, and it's a decade-old article that's woefully out of date on the current state of things.

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Well, I'd guess that HDMI would work, but no way to know for sure without knowing the Dell spec. Whichever way you go, do the forum a solid and test it with the HDMI cable and let us know if you get the full resolution @ 60Hz. ;)

It's appreciated that you're trying to be helpful, and folks might find some good info there about the specs, but just FYI it doesn't provide an answer to the OP's question, and it's a decade-old article that's woefully out of date on the current state of things.

Thats because his monitor has the older ports. There is so much more than what connection type. It all depends on the version of the connection type and the monitor. With his 1080P monitor I don't think it matters what connection he uses to the mini. The simplest would be to use HDMI to HDMI. Many like myself have not had any issues using HDMI.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Thats because his monitor has the older ports. There is so much more than what connection type. It all depends on the version of the connection type and the monitor. With his 1080P monitor I don't think it matters what connection he uses to the mini.
Hi, yeah, I know all about the "ports". The reason that article isn't helpful is because it doesn't have the specs for the OP's display. In the OP's follow-up, the model was provided which indicates HDMI 1.4 & DP 1.2 inputs... and therefor we already know the resolutions & refresh rates of those specs - HDMI 1.4 = 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz or 4K @ 30 Hz.

2560x1080 falls in between those supported resolutions. From what I understand, HDMI 1.4 does support the bandwidth for that resolution @ 60Hz, but not all displays support it, especially older or cheaper displays. That's why it all comes down to that specific display. There's lots of people who have asked this question, and they very rarely get a clear answer because it always comes down to the specific display. As I already said, it probably would work.

The simplest would be to use HDMI to HDMI. Many like myself have not had any issues using HDMI.
No one is suggesting "issues" with HDMI. And I don't know why people keep saying HDMI is "simplest" just because that's a port they feel familiar with or has the same connector on each end. "Simplest" is often what just will work without having to know the technical details of your display input.

Last edited: