monitor critical for Logic Studio?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redwing, Apr 4, 2008.

1. redwing macrumors newbie

Sorry- another monitor question.
    I read on some forum that music software requires a good monitor; the theory is that these programs have lots of shades of same colors and a good monitor is needed to clearly recognize different areas of the graphical windows.
    Would a TN panel type be acceptable? response times are better and Logic is constantly updating the screen, or, would a superior panel type be better for the aforementioned color distinction? considering an HP w2207 or a Dell 2007wfp. would love an Eizo but they are out of my price range.

2. ichiban macrumors newbie

Look for a PVA/MVA panel. TNs in general aren't very good. There will be a score of other people to claim otherwise, but in your situation at minimum a PVA panel.

The decision really rests on your working conditions. Will you be looking at the display from an angle at times? Say to move over to a keyboard or guitar? If so, depending on the angle (doesn't take much for a TN) you will lose picture and color quality significantly.

The w2207 looks to be a TN. The Dell 2007WFP was a panel lottery, so you could end up with a PVA or the highly regarded S-IPS panel. If you can grab an IPS 2007WFP, I would say go for it.