Monitor / Display advice ($500 cap)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Hi all,

My trusty, ancient (1996) Apple 1705 Multiple Scan 17" CRT died, so I'm looking for a replacement.

I know that Apple's 20" LCD would be nice, but $800 is around twice what I'm willing to pay. Afterall, I could replace the 1705 with a generic 17" CRT for less than $100 and not catch any grief from my wife.

So I'm looking for an LCD, either a 17" widescreen or 19" widescreen, with the objective of keeping the total cost down to $500.

Primary application is going to be for Photoshop, so color fidelity and dot pitch is important. Secondary application is DVD viewing, so response time needs some attention too.

Suggestions?

TIA,

-hh

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Look into the Dell 2005FPW 20 inch widescreen. I own one and love it. It goes on sale almost every month. You can find it for as low as $370 sometimes, but $440 is about normal. I won't go into anymore detail, because this monitor has been discussed to death and has been compared to the Apple monitor millions of times.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
grapes911 said:
Look into the Dell 2005FPW 20 inch widescreen. I own one and love it. It goes on sale almost every month. You can find it for as low as $370 sometimes, but $440 is about normal. I won't go into anymore detail, because this monitor has been discussed to death and has been compared to the Apple monitor millions of times.
I can only agree with this. I have one. It's great. Search for more :D

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I was recently in the same boat as you. I ended up with with a 2005FPW but you can search that and hear everything you need. If you want a widescreen, I've seen the Apple 17" cinema display go for around $300 here and on ebay but none of those have warranties so caveat emptor. Other than that, I know that new egg sells a 19" Viewsonic widescreen for about $300, not sure of the quality.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
I would agree with the previous posts recommending the Dell LCD. There have been numerous discussions and reviews posted online and they all have rated the Dell monitor very highly.

I am hoping to catch a good deal over the holidays and replace my Apple 15" LCD.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
-hh said:
Hi all,

My trusty, ancient (1996) Apple 1705 Multiple Scan 17" CRT died, so I'm looking for a replacement.

I know that Apple's 20" LCD would be nice, but $800 is around twice what I'm willing to pay. Afterall, I could replace the 1705 with a generic 17" CRT for less than $100 and not catch any grief from my wife.

So I'm looking for an LCD, either a 17" widescreen or 19" widescreen, with the objective of keeping the total cost down to $500.

Primary application is going to be for Photoshop, so color fidelity and dot pitch is important. Secondary application is DVD viewing, so response time needs some attention too.

Suggestions?

TIA,

-hh
You may want to consider buying my Widescreen 17" HD LCD

davidcb13

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
grapes911 said:
I agree... I also own one and love it...... The first one dell sent me had a broken backlight which was a pain in the ass but they come with a 3 year warrenty so A new one was sent to me

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Sorry to get off track on this, however I had a question and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

If I attach a 24 inch display with a higher resolution than my iMac G5 will it support the resolution?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
maya said:
Sorry to get off track on this, however I had a question and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

If I attach a 24 inch display with a higher resolution than my iMac G5 will it support the resolution?
It'll only mirror at the same resolution natively.

However I understand the Screen Spanning Doctor (google) will allow you to run a higher resolution on your second screen.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Danksi said:
It'll only mirror at the same resolution natively.

However I understand the Screen Spanning Doctor (google) will allow you to run a higher resolution on your second screen.
I know about Screen Spanning Doctor, however was not sure if it would support a 24 inch LCD with a higher resolution. I know I used to span with my PowerBook, however that was on a CRT TV screen.

Thank you for the reply. :)

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
jimsowden said:
You may want to consider buying my Widescreen 17" HD LCD

How does a widescreen TV work as a display? I am considering the Dell 2600W as in EU is 570 eurobucks vs €750 for the Dell 20" monitor with a whopping €5.4 discount (No, it's not a typo :mad: ). I may be willing to overpay for Apple 's products but NOT for Dull's.... They can't convince me that I am getting my $ worth by charging over twice what they are charging in the U.S.

Would the pixel count and the refreshing rate be OK for my video stuff? I don't plan to use it for work but for play - Photoshop, i-View Media and I-Life Apps and perhaps a Playstation 3 next year. Would it be the perfect companion to a soon to arrive Intel Mini?

davidcb13

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
In my opinion no.... most TVs run at very low resolutions compared to what computer monitors run at...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
grapes911 said:
I second this as well. They are fantastic monitors and if you do have a problem they will promptly send you a new one (I can tell you from experience). Best bang for the buck by far!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Google/look at the Westinghouse 17" Widescreen LCD. It's really nice. It's the one they have a BestBuy which is connected to the Mac Mini's, so if you have a BestBuy you could check it out there too.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
poolin1243 said:
you could probably get a used apple display acd connection off ebay though....? if he wants to stick with apple!

you should read the threads on the dell displays on the forums, you'll very surprised.