Monitor employee Web usage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rstorm, Nov 6, 2007.

1. rstorm macrumors regular

I am looking for software that can monitor employees web usage. I can find programs for windows but nothing for Mac OSX. All machines are running Tiger.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Are you looking to see where they are surfing, or are you wanting to measure bandwidth that is being used?

Also - what do you have as a connection to the internet? Too many unknowns to give a real good answer. There may be some freebies out there, and I personally know that there are some fairly spendy solutions, depending on your situation and requirements.

3. rstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Need to monitor where they are surfing!

Thanks.

edit:

We are on 1.5 mb DSL.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

4. LionelBlanton macrumors newbie

The only software I know of that runs on Mac and can show you what your employees are doing online is called My Team Monitor. You can register for free at their website (just google myteammonitor and you'll see the same words in the url of the website) and then your employees will need to install the software on their computers. When the employees start their shifts they turn the program on and it starts recording the number of keystrokes and mouse clicks they make and also screenshots of their screens every few minutes. This way you can see what they were viewing and what software they used, etc. This data is shown in an interface only you have access to.

5. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Apple Remote Desktop as well is a great resource.

side note - how do you survive with 1.5mbps DSL? I'm sitting on 50mbps and life is rough.

6. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Does the "History" work on your Safari? Might be a cheap solution that doesn't require any extra software. Or do you need something more robust?

7. UnSainted macrumors member

firewall/gateway

This is normally a function of your firewall or gateway router. Depending on what you have, you should be able to generate some basic reports to show this information.

8. andrewkendall macrumors member

I've been using http://www.rescuetime.com/ for a couple of years, it's really great for measuring productivity as well as browsing.

9. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

as others have said your firewall/gateway should work. Websense works on everything on your network. It still has to use your gateway.

10. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Can't you see it at the router by IP address? There, you can block web sites you don't want them to visit. Or perhaps use OpenDNS?