Monitor for 13'' Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Creebe, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Creebe macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 13'' (late 2009) and I think I would like to purchase a monitor for it. When I'm trying to do work, for example, I open up Word, Excel, and Preview mostly. I find that the 13'' display is too small. Therefore I believe I should get a separate monitor.

Here are some of the things I do on my Macbook:

-surf online (i sometimes view very large photographs such as the ones taken by Hubble telescope)
    -Word, excel, preview, powerpoint
    -Warcraft (not world of warcraft)
    -watch TV shows and movies

Here is what I expect from the monitor:

-HD (it's compatible with my macbook right?)
    -bigger than 19'', smaller than 22''
    -no built in speakers, i have my own

a few questions:

LED backlit or not? i like the LED backlit of my macbook display.

2ms vs 5ms, how noticeable is it?

say if the monitor i buy supports HDMI, how do i get the best picture quality possible?

1000:1 static contrast ratio, is that good?

here's one i looked
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001418CVF

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you have pretty basic requirements for a monitor so pretty much any that meet your specs will suffice. HD can either mean 720p or 1080p. I assume you mean the latter and, yes, your computer supports that. It supports much, much higher than that as well: up to 2560x1600.

1) LED backlighting is great for a lot of applications. I often don't recommend it because there are few LED IPS panels (and none that are cheap).

2) Unless you're hardcore gaming, you won't notice 5ms vs 2ms.

3) Do you have the new unibody macbook? If so, HDMI -> mini displayport.

4) Honestly, pay no attention to contrast ratio. It's largely a marketing ploy (just like "Full HD" claims). Just make sure it's a reputable brand with good reviews online.

The one you linked should be fine. I'm always going to suggest you look at IPS panels even if you aren't interested in color accuracy. Their viewing angles are far superior to any TN panel, which is what you linked to. Check out the Dell U2211h and U2311h, which are 21.5" and 23", respectively. They aren't glossy nor LED, but they've gotten great reviews. Beyond that, read reviews here and on other sites. Hope that gets you on the right track.

3. melekalikimaka macrumors newbie

I would disagree, it makes a big difference with movies and even moreso with images

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Oh I'm not saying it's unimportant, I just feel that most well-reviewed monitors have that area down fine. Perhaps it's only the mega-ridiculous dynamic contrast ratio values that are useless for comparison. I could very well be wrong though.

OP, the best advice is going to be look at different monitors in person. You'll then be able to decide if LED vs IPS is important to you. For the price range you're looking at, that's the decision you'll need to make.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I am using a Dell Ultra sharp for my late 2007 BMB, in the 21.4 inch size, been VERY pleased with it:cool:

6. deepak.selvaraj macrumors newbie

As far as possinle dont get a Samsung. The color quality is not that good in it. Everything is a bit yellowish. I read a lot of reviews when i bought mine. Dell is the best. I bought the U2210h and I'm really happy with it.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't see if you prefer antiglare or glossy. If you like glossy, you might like the HP 2509m. I wouldn't buy it myself, since I hate glossy, but, it is reasonably priced and has both DVI and HDMI inputs.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

OP is looking for a 19-22" monitor, that one is 25". I'd recommend a dell 21.5" monitor. I have heard some pretty good things about those.