Monitor For 16-17 MBP With Touch Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MDMachiavelli, Jul 31, 2017.

1. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

In June of this year I bought the new MBP with the Touch Bar (the specs are in my sig). Anyway I love it. The only thing is a monitor.

A good bit of the time, 60-70%, I dock mine in the clam-shell mode. I'm currently using this monitor.

ASUS Designo MX279H 27" Full HD 1920x1080 IPS HDMI VGA Frameless Monitor.

Its a decent monitor but it is matte finished and is not very bright, clear, or sharp. It may be just what I'm used to but all HD 1920x1080 monitors look dull to me. Maybe I'm just used to an Apple monitor with glass.

Ideally I would like to have a 32 inch curved monitor that is as close to the Apple monitor experience I can get.

Is that even a possibility?

I've been thinking about just saying the heck with getting an aftermarket monitor and buying the discontinued Thunderbot Display.

I'm really leaning toward this idea but if I do so I would like to get the benefits of the display like camera, mic, USB ports, charging, and other things.

So what would I have access to and what I wouldn't.

Any advice, opinion, knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated.

2. rawweb, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

The monitor world is interesting right now. I've been looking for a while myself to replace my aging 27" Apple Cinema Display, and am very picky about the look of the unit, and the kind of color production it can do. In my opinion, the world seems to be trying to figure out if 5k or 8k will prevail. Dell recently discontinued their 5k outing leaving the LG Ultra Fine (a bit wobbly and ugly for me, plus only TB3, doesn't work with my eGPU setup) one of the few if only options left in the 5k space. Lots of 4k options, but personally, not a big fan of 4k @ 27"+.

If you can hold out, it will be very interesting to see what Apple comes out with for their next pro display (if you truly want an apple designed look like I do). At least, that's what I'm doing...waiting. As you may have heard, they're apparently working on a new display due likely next year. Of course, no clue on what video interface or compatibility will exist with such a unit.

3. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Yeah I heard something about Apple possibly releasing a new monitor next year and if they do I will definitely get. But I have to do something between now and then.

You have the new MBP and the Thunderbolt Display. Do you get all the features of the Thunderbolt Display when connected to the new MBP such as camera, mic, and USB ports?

If so I may get one to hold me over until Apple releases their new Display?

What do you think?

4. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Yes, the display works flawlessly. I have the Thunderbolt Display connected with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Ethernet, USB ports, Thunderbolt 1 port, FaceTime Camera and speakers all work. Never had an issue. I've also used my 27" ACD with a Thunderbolt 3 to mini display port adapter with no issues.

If you can find one cheap enough on the used market, the old apple displays still look beautiful, imo. It might be a perfect holdover until we see some better options on the market.

5. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

I think you just helped me make my decision. That's what I'll do.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and help me out.

6. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

I've had the exact same ASUS a few years ago.
    It's not bad - but at the same time, there is almost nothing good about it either.

Sell it. Get yourself a 34inch 1440p - you don't even need the expensive ones, a dell 3415W will do.

7. MDMachiavelli, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

I can definitely agree with the first two statements.

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I agree the Apple Cinema/TB displays still look very good even as of 2017 - both in picture quality and in cosmetic style.

Another model family of interest may be the 1440p Dell UltraSharp offerings - some of these models are cosmetically appealing with very narrow bezels and the option of both glossy and matte displays (some others are hideous). They have good picture quality for what they are, and occasionally can be found on Amazon for randomly low prices.

9. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

I'll definitely look into the Dell Ultrasharp monitors, especially if the come in glossy finish.

But, after thinking about it I think I may just buy a used Thunderbolt display until Apple comes out with a new display. That way I really don't have to get a dock. Everything I will need a dock for comes with the Thunderbolt.

10. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

I had the same question and then Dell solved it for me. This is the best monitor I have ever owned, getting a second one for the office right now. U3818DW

Provides power to my MacBook Pro, has USB hub, and it's so great to have all this screen real estate. I am still learning and setting it all up...but the power button on the monitor helps me wake up the MBP.

I'm not a fan of 4k or 5k because of my aging eyes. This is WQHD+ 3840 x 1600 which is just perfect for me...like the Retina display which is also QHD I believe.

If you can afford it.. this is the ultimate IMHO

Good luck with your search

[​IMG]

11. MDMachiavelli, Aug 1, 2017

MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Thanks for posting!

That is an awesome monitor and it is in my price range. The only thing is that if I buy that monitor and spend that much, I'm worried that I will want what Apple releases more and have spent to much on the Dell to get the Apple one.

What I'll probably do is wait until the Apple comes out and decide between the two.

Until then, I think I'll get a used Thunderbolt Display to hold me over.

12. Fishrrman macrumors Pentium

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Ideally I would like to have a 32 inch curved monitor that is as close to the Apple monitor experience I can get."

Before you buy any "curved" display, be aware that they can distort the view, especially when viewing/editing photos.

Also, they can magnify and distort reflections.

13. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Same concern here, what if they release a monitor with an incredible built in graphics card?! lol. but do you really think Apple will go wide screen like this? Probably a little edgy for them?! You are going to love the wide screen, I can never go back... my 27 inch 4K Dell monitor is going to one of my staff in a week when my second U3818DW arrives.. and you can always add external GPU via Sonnet.

14. Heruhur macrumors member

Heruhur

I've been eyeballing the HP Envy 27s myself for my 13" tbMBP.
    4K 27" IPS and connected through TB3/USB-C it even charges the 13" tbMBP.
    Unfortunatley they're not as bright as the MBP display, but at 350cd/m2 brighter than most of the competition.
    Curved monitors are overrated in my opinion. Just like 3D-tv's it's a gimmick.

15. itsamacthing, Aug 1, 2017

itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

I'm so glad my 38 inch monitor has this ever so slight curve.. first curved I have ever owned .. its great, the "narratives" and false news floating around .. just not true. No distortion, mp glares (and I use this surrounded by windows) its not a gimmick.. and it's not necessary on smaller monitors..

I will add that i don't think curved is good for your TV... but on your desktop, it's just perfect

16. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

I used mine for music production, Logic Pro X.

But I'll definitely keep this in mind when deciding. Thanks for the input.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2017 ---

If Apple comes out with a new monitor within the year and it is a definite improvement/upgrade from the Thunderbolt Display, I will definitely be getting over a curved monitor.

The option of it being curved is one of the least important features on my list.

17. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

I certainly didn't buy this because its curved, but love it... and love the wide format. I think there is a lot of good talk about wide format monitors and processing videos

18. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Okay, as I mentioned earlier I think I've decided to buy the Thunderbolt display, at least until Apple unveils its new monitor.

That being said, what do I need to get all of the advantages of the Thunderbolt Display? In other words what do I need to take advantage of the all in one cable experience where my charging, camera, monitor, and sound will all work off of the one cable?

I know I need the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3(USB-C) adapter. Is there any other cables or adapters I need?

Every time I look into the Thunderbolt Display, I hear them listing it as having or not having the magsafe. Is this essential for me to do what I want with my 2017 MBP with the touchbar?

19. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

The Apple thunderbolt adapter is all you need for the connections. Sadly, MagSafe is incompatible for power so you'll have to use your provided MacBook adapter for power.

20. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Cool, thanks for the response.

I thought I read somewhere that it would charge thru the Thunderbolt. I guess that wasn't true ......

21. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

The Apple Thunderbolt Display that was released in 2011? Please don't... If you want legacy ports, at least check out the LG Thunderbolt Display, it has a modern panel..

22. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Don't worry, I'm just getting one as a Band-Aid basically, just temporary until the new Apple Display is released. Then I will make my ultimate decision.

I'll either get the new Apple Display or the LG made for the Mac.

I just don't want to jump the gun, spend $1300 on the LG and then when the Apple Display is released wish I had gotten it.

This way I'll wait, look at both, and then make my ultimate & final decision.

23. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

For a bandaide, find something used on eBay ... you still don't know how long before Apple releases a monitor?! Be careful not to spend too much on this temp solution. I think you will still be paying a premium for the Apple Display. Have you looked at Dell? Just don't want to see you waste any money... but appreciate you wanting to wait. I waited almost 5 years to get the new MacBook Pro LOL

24. mickliq macrumors newbie

I had been looking at the LG 38UC99 for awhile, and as I understand it, the Dell monitor uses the same panel as the LG. The Dell is on sale now (in Canada) so want to act but curious about something - with the LG, you can have a single cable (TB 3) that provides power to the MBP TB and sends the video signal from the MBP TB to the Monitor. From your setup, I see 2 USB C connections, do you have to send power over 1 cable and video back to monitor over another?

25. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

HI, sorry for the delay I have been traveling with little access to the internet for 2 weeks. No, just a single cable for video and power. The second cable is running to my old TB2 OWC dock.