Monitor for 2020 MacMini

Arry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Italy
Hello everybody! I recently purchased a new 2020 MacMini and I'm now in the market for a monitor. It's the first desktop that I buy and I don't know much about the different types of monitor available today.
I would like to buy a good 27" monitor, between $350-450; I will use the Mac for everyday tasks, music editing and some occasional video editing. Don't need anything extraordinary, something that's easy on my eyes and has decent colors.

I started reading reviews and whatnot but I'm not really familiar with IPS, VA, TN...

Any suggestion is welcomed, thank you!

Monotremata

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2019
Ontario, CA
Picked up this one right around the beginning of the month. I replaced a 32" HD Samsung TV with it and its working great so far. I love being able to see almost my whole mixer on the screen in Logic Pro, AND still have a nice chunk of the Arrange window up on top to look at. Was going to go for a 32" but at 4K that's too much screen space for me, and the 28" has an IPS panel so win win there..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...onitor-dark-gray-blue/6386391.p?skuId=6386391

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I got a BenQ PD3200Q with my new Mini in June, cost was $400 at B&H Photo. Really happy with this screen, it is QHD, 2560 x 1440. Have used my ancient 23" Apple Cinema Display HD forever and really like the default size of text. The Cinema display is 100 ppi and the BenQ screen is around 92 ppi so text is a little larger, which is fine.

Many people would probably feel 2560 x 1440 is fine on a 27" screen, but I really wanted something bigger... have spent enough of my life looking at tiny text on my 11" MacBook Air. 😂

Whatever you get, find something where the text is readable at the screen's native resolution, I would not go more than 2560 x 1440 on a 27" screen personally. If you use scaled resolutions on the new Mini, it stresses the integrated graphics and can cause problems. There are several long threads about this here.

Hopefully you also got enough RAM on your new Mini, people with 8gb have had problems since 1.5gb is used by the graphics chip.

Arry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Italy
Thank you for your suggestions! In terms of connections, should I get a monitor with a Thunderbolt port?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My monitor doesn't have USB-C so I'm using a DisplayPort to USB-C cable. There have been several threads here about issues with HDMI connections, such as the screen not coming on when the Mini wakes from sleep. Don't know how much of a problem that really is however.

Monotremata

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2019
Ontario, CA
I had mine connected over HDMI for the first week or so, didn't have any issues there. I am using a USB-C to Display Port cable now though just because I can. Thunderbolt would be nice, but its also going to jack the price of the monitor up to a ridiculous amount, when Display Port or HDMI will work just fine. Its the graphics card you'll hit a wall with before the monitor..

pugxiwawa

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
I'm using it with LG 27UK850-W and it's been working very well, really like 1 USB-C cable connection .

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I am about to buy a 2020 Mac Mini i5 6 core 16Gb. I am thinking of getting the 32" LG 32UK50T 4K monitor from Sam's Club. I also have a spare 27" Dell 2560X1440 that I want to pair with it as a secondary display in portrait mode. Would this setup work or would it cause severe lag? What do you think? Thanks!

pldelisle

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I am about to buy a 2020 Mac Mini i5 6 core 16Gb. I am thinking of getting the 32" LG 32UK50T 4K monitor from Sam's Club. I also have a spare 27" Dell 2560X1440 that I want to pair with it as a secondary display in portrait mode. Would this setup work or would it cause severe lag? What do you think? Thanks!
If you don't use graphics intensive applications it shouldn't lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.