Monitor for apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mobilemario, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mobilemario macrumors member

So my tv broke and since I'm limited with space I've decided to buy a monitor(~24inch) to use with my 13"mba and apple tv 2 and switch between sources.
    which one should I go for?

2. obey908 macrumors 6502a

The best rated one you can afford on newegg. With hdmi input

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I saw the Dell U2412 in the low $300s the other day.

I have the U2410 version which has display port, HDMI, 2 dvi, VGA?, component? Composite?

An added bonus is that it will send the AppleTV HDMI audio out a stereo 1/8" analog jack to external speakers.

I really forget the exact connections but basically anything you could ever need.

I'm not a Dell fan but their mid/upper range LCD monitors are really good.

Plus they have, or at least mine has a 3 year warranty which is much better than apples.

4. mobilemario thread starter macrumors member

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I did a quick review on that article but I can't understand everything.

So you can hook up your MBA over minidisplay port, and the apple tv over HDMI with hdcp which all sounds good.

The question that I didn't seen an answer to.... How does the LCD hook up to Dell's sound bar? I'm not familiar with their sounds bars but I see a port to supply power to the sound bar. Does the audio travel over the same connection? Making it proprietary? Does the sound connect via USB? Is there an 1/8" plug like on my u2410 which I can connect to external speakers?

I'm not sure...