Monitor for G4

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RichardEM, Jul 23, 2007.

1. RichardEM macrumors newbie

I need to get a monitor for a 400ghz g4. This monitor will be used for mostly TEXT (letter writing, articles, e-mail) so a wide monitor, 16 X 10, is not where we want to be. Additionally, we have to use the monitor, through a KVM switch(d-sub 15 pin), when working from a Dell laptop.
    The person this is for has been using a 17" NEC Fe700+ CRT. We have looked at some monitors, but she complains that the text is not sharp like her CRT.

Would consider changing the video card but would rather not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thank You.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I have about a half dozen 400MHz G4s (Yikes! models with the PCI graphics), so I've got a bit of experience with those.

One that might work is the Viewsonic VG710 (or whatever the current version of that is); it's "only" 17", but the resolution is pretty good and it's quite cheap (and that G4 won't have any trouble driving it). I've bought several similar Viewsonic models through the years, and all have been reliable.

It's a pretty stock resolution, so a KVM will probably be fine, too.

Odd that she thinks LCDs look less crisp than a CRT--I've heard from people over and over that LCDs produce way crisper text than CRTs, and that's certainly my experience personally. Is she running it at a REALLY high resolution or something? If so, maybe one of the high-rez (1600X1200-ish) 19"-range LCDs might be more to her taste, due to the higher pixel density, although I'm not so sure a G4 that old can drive something with that much resolution (I seem to remember the stock Rage128 card topping out at 1280X1024).

Actually, in my experience, a lot of people (particularly those a little older) prefer a lower-rez screen, since it makes things easier to see for them.

For what it's worth, at my office we ended up putting Viewsonic VA1912 LCDs on all those G4s, and while everyone here has been happy with them, they're not the monitor you're looking for;widescreen, and relatively low pixel density.