Monitor for home/office setup...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jpa.herron, Aug 28, 2007.

1. jpa.herron macrumors newbie

Gonna ask the question thats been asked a hundred times... which monitor?

I'm an architect, working from home, using a MBP C2D 2.33. It sits on a Griffin stand, with all peripherals plugged into a Belkin USB hub (that sits neatly underneath the stand). When its all plugged in, the MBP essentially functions as a 17¨ monitor. I also do some work remotely, so the MBP works well for me in terms of portability.

I'm in the process of setting up a more permanent working environment in my house (working off the dining table until the new 'office' is ready), & while the 17¨ display of the MBP is adequate, I'm considering adding an external display into the setup to increase the desktop real estate. I do a bit of 3D work, so the second display would definitely come in handy.

Trawling through the forums, it seems like the options come down to the 23¨ ACD or the 24¨ Dell (both seem to be in the £600 area, which suits my budget). I understand the Dell has more inputs... this would be useful as I'd eventually like to consolidate a few other bits of tech lying around the house into this one room (particularly an XBox 360 Elite if Santa is good to me).

I'm leaning towards the ACD, but feel this is based more on the look of it than actual performance. Given that I'd eventually like to use it for more than just a second display for my MBP, should I be looking elsewhere instead?

2. jpa.herron thread starter macrumors newbie