Monitor for laptop: what I want!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mjsanders5uk, May 11, 2009.

1. mjsanders5uk macrumors regular

I need to buy a monitor to go with my laptop. As I regularly work in the field as a VT editor, I would like something decent to expand my workspace on location. However it can't be to big and bulky as flight case space is limited.

What would be fab is for Apple to bring out a small (15" or 17") display that can sit nicely along side my laptop. Ideally the screen from a laptop with a low stand and DVI cable!

Failing that does anyone have an suggestions?

Michael

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think apple will ever release another 15 or 17" display at this point. To be honest, i'm not sure there's too many choices for such a small monitor. I also think getting a small monitor for traveling to extend your desktop is really not a feasible solution. The danger of damaging the display may be high.

3. mjsanders5uk thread starter macrumors regular

Mobile monitor

Maybe but its what I need. I admit there are some solutions to work around it: A Kona IoHD and a flat screen monitor like a Panasonic BT 1700 but that doesn't give you extra desktop space. There's the matrox MXO2 which might do that but I'm not sure. Anyhow, I bet I'm not the only one tired of squinting at a tiny screen when trying to edit!

As for protection, there's always a Peli case!

4. brguitarist macrumors member

Umm, not really sure what your question is then...

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you know what you want. get it. you could try going to Best Buy and looking at the options there - then ordering online for less $$$

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I do not think that the MXO2 extends your deskspace. However, what resolution do you need? BTW, do you need quality on these monitors? Unless you're willing to shell out a lot of money and mod a laptop display, its more-then-likely that you'll be getting a TN monitor.

Plus, what is your budget?

7. mjsanders5uk thread starter macrumors regular

Yep thought so - MXO doesn't extend deskspace. Its easy to monitor video on location but there are times when you don't need to run a video monitor and just need more desktop space so a good desktop monitor would be really useful.

Budget is about £300 pounds - in terms of resolution, medium if that makes sense!

8. etiger13 macrumors member

9. ZeroCorpse macrumors member

Get a Samsung HDTV. They do a great job of handling Mac input, and the displays look great! You can pick up a Touch of Color display that handles PC Mac video and has a tuner built in for under $300.

10. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Why not a different laptop

Why don't you just get a 17" Macbook Pro?

11. mjsanders5uk thread starter macrumors regular

For regular use I found the 17" just to big and heavy. Especially when travelling.

However, when I'm doing location editing (and at home doing the paperwork!) it would be very very handy to have a small decent monitor that I could hook up to my laptop. My main issue with having a normal monitor is that ergonomically having a second monitor at a different height is not very easy to work with. Hence my suggestion of a small, laptop style display which could fit into a reasonably small case like a laptop peli case.

Thats all.

12. etiger13 macrumors member

Am i missing something here? the 17" is too big to carry around but a whole other monitor isnt???

13. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I don't think such a product even exists. The only 15" & 17" monitors still on sale today are low budget and not actually that compact.

You sound like a 17" should be the laptop for you, but you say you also need something lighter for traveling. How about getting a MBA or a netbook as well as a 17" MBP.

14. mjsanders5uk thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I give up!

Sometimes I just take the computer (for doing paperwork etc, writing etc) - and for this, personally, I think the 17" is to big.

Other times I am working on location editing and need a second monitor. In this case I tend to be in a car and am carrying VTR's, cameras etc And for this I'd what I've stated... is it really so difficult??