Monitor for Mac Mini as desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WillFisher, Feb 17, 2012.

1. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Hi there,

I bought a Mac Mini around 2 months ago and have been using it as a 'work' style computer as well as a media centre, its currently hooked up to a 26 inch TV via HDMI and a Dell 17 inch monitor via Thunderbolt/Minidisplay.
    I want to have it as one single monitor now, but the TV is too big, and the monitor I have has no webcam/speakers built in.

What kind of monitors would you guys recommend? For a student from the UK by the way!
    Thanks!

Will

2. 184550 Guest

I usually go with Dell monitors, so I'd say stick with Dell. I believe that Dell has a student purchase program, so perhaps start there and check out their offerings? A Dell monitor in the 20 to 24 inch range shouldn't be terribly expensive, depending on what you want/ need from it.

3. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

does dell make a monitor with built in speakers? I know Viewsonic does and they sound pretty crappy.

4. 184550 Guest

I know they use to sell several models in the US with a built in webcam and speakers but given the OP is in the UK, I'm not sure what their current UK offerings look like.

When I worked in the UK, I recall our offices had several Dell monitors with speaker bars. Pretty much the same thing IMO. A student discount should help offset the additional cost of the speaker bar should the OP go that route.

5. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I own a Dell ST2320 bought on Amazon warehouse deals for £120 and it works perfectly, Amazing picture quality. Very thin as well and surrounded by a gloss black bezel, not bad looking either. No speakers though but I had my own ones anyway so didn't bother me