Monitor for Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shawn F., Jul 3, 2009.

1. Shawn F. macrumors newbie

Well guys I am new here and plan to stick around (intro will be my next thread). Anyways I recently bought a Mac Mini from a friend for a temporary unit until I buy a G5 or something else next. Today I went out and purchased a Samsung Syncmaster P2370 23" monitor. I plugged the monitor into the mac mini with a DVI-D to DVI-D cord. For some reason it does not pick up any signal or anything. It's a blank screen and I can't even get menu to come on. Now when I hook it up to my PC with a VGA and DVI it works fine. The Mac Mini is the older 1.42 GHz with only 1 Gig of ram (soon to be updated) and 80G hard drive.
    Any idea's what could be the problem? Maybe the DVI-D cable needs to be plain DVI without the D for digital at the end?
    Thanks a lot for any help and information!!!
    Edit: I tried the plain DVI/VGA cable with a DVI adapter and it still shows just a blank screen.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Although I seriously doubt it, the mini could have a DVI-I connection on it.

3. Shawn F. thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean, what is a DVI-I? From what I am reading on google, there are reports that people are saying with Samsung monitors along with some Dell monitors not working with the Mac Mini. I am hoping this isn't the case with mine because I will most likely sell the Mac before I sell this monitor. I hooked up my old monitor with the VGA cable (it's 13 years old) and it works with the Mac Mini but I do not have room to have two monitors plus do not want the old 13 year old one anymore either since it's going out on me and has a very bad picture.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

DVI-D is digital and DVI-I is interlaced. DVI-D is much more common, but trying a DVI-I cable is worth a shot.

5. Shawn F. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, yes I have tried the plain DVI-I cable as well. No luck, still the same thing. From the reading I have been doing people are saying that most Samsung monitors do not work with Mac or the Mac Mini at least and that they took their mini to the Apple store and they say there is no fix for it or real explaination why they do not work but also a select few of Dells have the same problem. I cant amagine there is not SOME kind of fix though? :confused:
    I am getting frustrated that the mini is so picky about things like this. I'd love to get it working on this monitor but if I can't then there is nothing I can do about it besides sell it and get another PC or use it in my car for my music and not have to have CD's. :D

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Just return the monitor if you can and get a nice Dell one.

7. Shawn F. thread starter macrumors newbie

Which Dell one would you recommend in the $250-$300 dollar range? I know with this amount of money I wont get a high end monitor but it's better than what I originally started with and all I can afford. At first I was going to look for a $150-$200 but then decided to at least go up to $300 tops.

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I got the 2208WFP for $220 a few months ago. I think it has been supplanted by the 2209WFP.

I REALLY like this one! There's also this and this.