Monitor for MBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pinkiy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Pinkiy macrumors regular

Pinkiy

Hi

i got my laptop the other day my 2nd mac and very chuffed with it. I'm not a heavy gamer only really play wow now and then and loaded it up fine on the 13" with no issues. I was actually supprised at how good it was tbh.

now i've noticed that i feel like i could do with a monitor, been looking at dells but some of them can be highly expensive.

whats the max screen size you'd recommend 21.5, 23? i think i'll only be using that display when connected so fingers crossed wont be to demanding on the graphics card which is my main concern atm when running wow larger.

also as a side note if you plug in a display and close the lid does the mac automatically know to go to the display?

2. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I've got an Apple 24" Cinema display and I couldn't be happier with it.

To answer your question about Graphics performance, I'm still not convinced that using the External display doesn't cause a little slow-down, but I can't be completely sure.

As far as using your MBP in clamshell mode - the ACD is definitely recognised and the MBP swaps over perfectly. Also does the sound and USB ports automatically as well as the ACD is equipped with both.

3. willieva macrumors 6502

It depends what you're planning on doing with it. For mostly web browsing and general work 21" is fine. For photos(and I'm guessing wow) bigger is better. I've got a 24" Dell ultrasharp attached to my 13" mbp and it's great for pictures. Total overkill for working or browsing on.

I haven't noticed any performance issues, but I don't game on it.

No problems connecting to the external monitor, except that it's annoyingly slow to switch monitors when the clamshell gets closed(almost 20 seconds). But it is automatic.

Aspect ratio is important to consider as well. A lot of the new monitors are 16:9. The Dell and ACD are 16:10. The extra height is nice.