Monitor for MBP and Dell D620

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Jan 19, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Hi

I've just purchased the macbook pro alum as in my sig below, And I also have a dell D620 which is my work laptop. Im just after some advice as to what external monitor I should get which will work for both laptops as I am moving into a new apartment and would like to have it setup for both.

Im looking for possibly a 19inch, sleek and sexy display.

Any feedback would be great.

2. mahen macrumors member

I am using Samsung TOC 26" (T260HD) as a primary display for my MB and Dell 620 (work laptop). This works great for my need and the monitor is amazing. I don't do serious graphics. I believe there is a 19"/20" version in that series. The one I have also has a HDTV tuner, which I use to also view cable television. Samsung also makes an equivalent one without the HDTV tuner and I believe it is $50 less than HD model.

Paid $450 at Frys last August.

Mahen

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Thanks, Im not too fussed about having a 26inch screen, I would probably prefer max 23/24 inch as i wouldnt really be using to watch TV on it.

Am I right in thinking my macbook pro only uses a mini DVI port and my DELL D620 uses a VGA port. What connection would I need to be able to use both?

Regards

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

You would ned a montior that supports both VGA and DVI. Many monitors have such set ups.

all my dell and HP monitors have VGA and DVI inputs. as do my video cards.

5. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I just recommended this to another user. You can use it as a Tv to. :cool:
    24"

6. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Cool thanks for that, Any other options? Will it be as simple as unplugging dvi cable from macbook and plugging in VGA cable for dell d620?

It might be useful being able to use it as a tv as it will be used as a guest room from time to time. So kinda killing two birds with one stone :cool:

7. mahen macrumors member

The Samsung TOC lineup is pretty good in terms of connectivity. I have 2 cables going into my monitor, DVI from the MB and a VGA from Dell. No unplugging required with this setup.

8. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

ahh ok cool. Well the cheapest I've managed to find one of these is on Amazon for £255.

9. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Im leaning towards getting this at the moment --> Samsung T200HD 20"

Let me know what you think

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Generally, if you have VGA and DVI inputs, you have a button somewhere on the monitor so all you have to do to switch between your computers is to press the button.

You can set up a "poor man's KVM" by running synergy on each machine, with an external keyboard and mouse connected to one machine. Just switch machines by moving the mouse off the side of the screen and switching inputs.