Monitor for my Macbook, ultrasharp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by astudentis, Feb 14, 2008.

1. astudentis macrumors regular

Hello Everyone,

To those of you who have the dell Ultrasharp monitor(and possible who dont but have researched into them)... I am wishing to purchase a screen to hook it up to my 2.16Ghz macbook. I am having trouble with the follows:

- which one would be best to use, and not see slow down in speed (choppyness) with expose/dashboard/minimizing..etc. the 19inch ultrasharp, 20 inch, 22 inch?
    - i watch movies and tv on my computer most of the time as well so i would like to have a good enough resolution
    - with these monitors, they have the ability to become vertical (as you can see a picture of in the link provided for the 19in monitor), can my macbook automatically adjust the view when i rotate the screen, or would i need some other piece of hardware for it to be compatiable... if anyone has a set up with vertical view, would you post a picture of your setup (please,thanks)

and does anyone know of any coupons/discounts for dell monitors for us canadian folk for their website?

oh btw, will these monitors support high def video (ie 1080p)

thanks for your reply

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The 20" has the best panel and the same resolution as the 22" (so you won't gain more screen estate either way).

None of them will provide you with 1080p resolution, as they are 1680x1050 opposed to 1920x1200 (1080p compliant).

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I've found that Dell Ultrasharp's are the dogs dangley bits .. ;)

20" highly recommended.

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

i have the 24 inch, which does 1080p resolution, and is amazing at everything.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I am also thinking of buying the 2007fpw - but it seems to be getting on a bit. Is it still the best monitor for the price?

I've seen people starting to reccomend Samsung.

Also, what is the equivalent Dell 22'' model to the 2007fpw?

I had a look on the Dell site, but am confused by their range. Same pixels but bigger screen is fine, as this will go behind my macbook, so will be a bit further away, and I'm a bit short sighted.

Many thanks for your help.

6. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

i had bought a samsung monitor during boxingweek, but i ended up returing it because it did not have height adjustment, and the tilt angles was very minimal at best...I had the 22BW ..i think that was the model... but now looking at the ultrasharp, they have much more flexibility with the stand in the back.... so has anyone tried the ultrashap in vertical mode?

7. ouphe macrumors regular

I've owned a pair of Dell 20" Ultrasharps, and recently purchased a 30" Dell Ultrasharp, and have been very, very happy with both products (and Dell has always gotten monitors to me a few days before they say it will arrive, which is a nice surprise!). Whatever you end up getting, enjoy!