Monitor for Performa 6360?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by PSG, Feb 1, 2008.

1. PSG macrumors newbie

Hi There.
    Newbie here.

-I've got an old Performa 6360.
    -the old monitor is crapping out.
    Its a Apple Multiple Scan 15 Display CRT monitor.
    The connection is a 2 row 14 prong plug.

Can I buy any new monitor and plug it in or will it blow up the computer potentially?

I still need to retrieve information from this thing.

Helps me please!!

Thanks!

Susan.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You won't blow it up but the video may not support newer displays. Your best bet is to locate an old VGA display, which you should be able to get cheaply. I just threw out a couple of them myself. Good luck!

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    On the performa 6360, any monitor will work, (CRT or LCD) so long as you have a Mac monitor adapter like this....

[​IMG]

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why do you say that? The video card still needs to support the DPI and refresh rate of the display or you get nada.

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Well basically ANY monitor that is not a 9" black and white or a 24" jumbo CRT or larger....

I've used my Performa 6400 on everything from 12" Apple Basic color monitors to a 22" Mitsubishi CRT....and a 19" LCD

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

All VGA compatible Macs support the standard 640x480 @ 60Hz...

The adapters I've got most don't have DIP switches, the resolution is controlled with the System Preferences - Monitor.

The DIP switches are used when you want to tell the Mac to only default to certain resolutions - I got one with DIP switches from work that came with an old SVGA projector. You set the DIP switches to tell the Mac to default to SVGA...

7. PSG thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of adapter?

Hi There,

Well it's 2 years later, and I had actually found an old Apple monitor. But that's dead now too.

There was never a pic from macEfan or a description of the adapter or description.

What kind do i need to get an old pc monitor and plug it into my old Performa 6360?

DB15 Male to HD15 Female 10 DIP Switch MAC to VGA Adapter?

Do i need to worry about the switches on the adapter?

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes - it sort of tells the Mac (or Monitor - can't remember) what resolutions to use.

If you are interested, I can look for mine - I still have it in the package with the dip switch diagram..

9. PSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks so much ya'll :) !!
    Cheers!
    Susan

10. MacTech68, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

You can "roll your own".

This old Apple Hardware Technote describes how Macs with the two row 15Pin D-Sub connector works.

When you turn on your Mac, it checks 3 pins on the video connector to see how they're wired. The combinations were originally 2x2x2 or 8 codes. In this way, the Mac knows what model monitor is attached and hence what resolutions that monitor can do. This was extended later by wiring pins via diodes as well to extend the number of combinations.

I usually select the 16" Multiscan, (which also represents a 17" Multiscan). This gives you 640x480, 832x624, & 1024x768 at scan rates that most Vesa SVGA monitors can handle (most 15-17" CRT & LCD monitors).

Tie pin 4 to ground and place a diode (a 1N4148 or 1N914 will do) from pin 7 to pin 10. The black stripe on the diode should be at the pin 10 side. (see "Figure 4" on the linked page - NOTE the numbers in that figure refer to SENSE line numbers, NOT the connector pin numbers).

Wire all the other pins red(2), green(5), blue(9), VSync(12) and Hsync(15) thru to the matching pins on the 3 row 15pin D-sub SVGA connector. Wire the ground (GND) pins thru to the appropriate GND pins on the SVGA connector. See this pic for the SVGA Pinouts. Don't wire anything to the "ID Bit X" or "DDC" pins on the SVGA connector.

This gives you the above resolutions only but there's little reason to go much higher IMHO.

Confused? Buy the adapter noted above from eBay which is simpler, really! :(

PS: LCD monitors look best at their HIGHEST resolution so 1024x768 on a LCD with a highest resolution of say 1152x870 will look fuzzy. A CRT should look fairly crisp at ANY resolution.

11. PSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Switches?

Ok, I've got a Sony Trinitron E210 17 inch multi scan monitor.

Not sure if that means it's a vga or svga

I'm not really sure where to place the 10 switches.

I tried "2""4""5" and it was working kind of, but the mouse wasn't working with the computer.

I restarted the Performa 6360 and now it says the monitor is out of scan range.

Help please.

12. MacTech68, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

No instructions with the adapter? Pic please?

If the instructions show settings for a 16" multiscan, use that setting. Some older 10 switch adapters use switch 1, 4, 5 & 8 ON.

BTW, you need to reboot the machine each time you change the settings.

Also note that if a setting works, it should default to the lowest setting that the setting provides. IE, it might initially be 640x480, but in the Monitors (or Monitors & Sound) control panel it will show higher resolutions.

13. PSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok rebooting worked.
    I was confused which setting to use.
    So i did use 1,4,5,8 and rebooted the computer
    Hello computer from 1997! :)
    Thank you!:)

14. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Cool. Glad that worked. :)

We once bought a heap of 6 switch adapters which never worked. The label on the back for the settings wasn't correct at all. :eek: Only 64 combinations to try. :rolleyes:

15. NotBrian? macrumors newbie

Monitor for Performa 6360?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have a 635CD and I have been trying to get it to light up my Viewsonic digital, which has a 'modern' vga tap as well as DVI. I got one of those adapters, but couldn't find the right combination of dips. Until now. 1458 is the key. I'll play it on the lottery next. Thank you!

Now if I can only get the Stylewriter to run I can print from the Macintosh Plus...