Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I am wanting to know how the old 23" HD Cinema Display compares to a 24" LED Cinema Display? I am using a 17" Studio Display and it really makes my comp look older than it really is. Plus I would like to have something with a bit more real-estate. I use my G5 for work everyday, mostly using Diagnostic software to work on Macs. Well I recently was working on a customers 24" iMac, and the screen was so gorgeous. It was a 07, but she was still running the original 10.4. I thought it was a newer copy of OSX, because it looked so good.

I realize that I would have to buy a $150 Converter if I wanted a LED Cinema Display, and I have not had the chance to use a 23" HD Cinema Display of yesteryear.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I use one as my primary display and love it. I've also got a 20" acrylic Cinema display, 22" original DVI Cinema display, and a 17" Studio Display. The screen on the 23" HD is really very nice and I can't complain at all about it. Personally, I really like the look of the enclosure too. I think you can find these things around $200 now which is pretty fair. Of course, you can always just pick up and DVI display you like at Best Buy or OfficeMax and use that. Your G5 will have a DVI port on the video card too.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I don't want to come off as a uptight butt hole, but other monitors esthetically look like horse manure. If I have to look at something for hours, I want it to be beautiful. So most other companies are out...

I keep contemplating just getting a thunderbolt display for my MBP and start using it as my workhorse. But, I don't yet want to retire the G5. :(

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I don't want to come off as a uptight butt hole, but other monitors esthetically look like horse manure. If I have to look at something for hours, I want it to be beautiful. So most other companies are out...

I keep contemplating just getting a thunderbolt display for my MBP and start using it as my workhorse. But, I don't yet want to retire the G5. :(

I use a pair of "manure" looking 24 inchers..

I work with an iMac 21.5 and have a 23 acrylic..The colors pop on the iMac and are a touch of a let down on the acrylic...

iMac to manure displays manure displays are better for watching movies and such..

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Apart from the beauty of the Apple displays I guess you are better with some good IPS from another brands...
Dell have for example the u2312hm @190eur new...LG has a 22' one @ about 160eur..both Full HD LED+IPS...

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I guess it depends what you want, I use two Acer 26inch LEDs. For my main PC rig, and my G5 uses a 22 inch Acer LED, cheap, and they look great.

Unless you have money to spend, I'd recommend going with a Monitor from a ton of makers. Try Tiger Direct, they have a ton of very well priced monitors.

To be honest, I never saw the difference between an high end display from most brands, and an Apple Display, expect they have a different color/metal case. And cost three times as much

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I guess it depends what you want, I use two Acer 26inch LEDs. For my main PC rig, and my G5 uses a 22 inch Acer LED, cheap, and they look great.

Unless you have money to spend, I'd recommend going with a Monitor from a ton of makers. Try Tiger Direct, they have a ton of very well priced monitors.

To be honest, I never saw the difference between an high end display from most brands, and an Apple Display, expect they have a different color/metal case. And cost three times as much

I immediately and significantly notice the difference in color reproduction from a beautiful Apple Cinema display to a "manure" TN panel. However yes when comparing IPS to IPS panels I don't notice much of a difference at all.

I've had the pleasure of using six different IPS monitors -

A Gateway FPD2185W

An Apple Cinema Display 20" (Aluminum)

An Apple 22" Acrylic ADC Display

2x Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW

And a Dell UltraSharp 2007FPW

All looked nearly identical - with the Acrylic 22" model looking a bit more washed out/dimmer but still gorgeous looking.

Another option is the Apple LED display copycat that's built using what seems to be the exact same enclosure, panel, and cord/connections.

EDIT: They actually claim to be superior than Apple's whilst seemingly looking identical to what I can see from online pics (not saying they're wrong is what I mean) - http://gigaom.com/apple/sorry-apple-cinema-display-your-new-cousin-is-a-cheaper-date/

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I immediately and significantly notice the difference in color reproduction from a beautiful Apple Cinema display to a "manure" TN panel. However yes when comparing IPS to IPS panels I don't notice much of a difference at all.

True story.
about two years ago I bought a 22 inch full hd 5ms Samsung monitor,for about 148eur, of course it was a TN.
The colors were so "non natural",I even tried to fine tune it but I never got it good.
Now with IPS it good for me out of the box (I've tried the NEC EA231WMI and the U2312hm).

Another option is the Apple LED display copycat that's built using what seems to be the exact same enclosure, panel, and cord/connections.

EDIT: They actually claim to be superior than Apple's whilst seemingly looking identical to what I can see from online pics (not saying they're wrong is what I mean) - http://gigaom.com/apple/sorry-apple-cinema-display-your-new-cousin-is-a-cheaper-date/

It seems horrible to me.
I quite like the EA231WMI in white.

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I have used NEC LCD2080UX (20" 4:3 S-IPS) for like a decade and am still very impressed with them. Slim bezel and they look good next to a G5 case. I would never buy a non-IPS screen by now and I think manufacturers slowly get a grip of shifting consumer demands, with more notebooks getting those screens (tbh, they aren't really much more expensive than TN panels, it's a 40$ option in the Thinkpad X220).

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I have used NEC LCD2080UX (20" 4:3 S-IPS) for like a decade and am still very impressed with them. Slim bezel and they look good next to a G5 case. I would never buy a non-IPS screen by now and I think manufacturers slowly get a grip of shifting consumer demands, with more notebooks getting those screens (tbh, they aren't really much more expensive than TN panels, it's a 40$ option in the Thinkpad X220).

Even in the 22-23' "low end" monitors TN vs IPS the difference is about 50/60eur...

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Yes, but low-cost IPs monitors practically didn't exist a year ago. Then, they were >24" 16:10 and came from only a few manufacturers. The new IPS panels are produced in a different way so they arent as expensive as classic H-IPS or S-IPS panels. This is why firms like LG, which rely primarily on competitive pricing, are offering such models now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.