Monitor GPU temps on 5850 2010 mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by allupons, Oct 9, 2010.

1. allupons macrumors member

Is there any way to monitor the GPU temps for my 5870 in my 6 core 2010 mac pro? It appears the popular temp monitor apps dont yet spot the GPU to my knowledge. The thing is always completely silent even during hours of starcraft2 play and I am a tad paranoid as I would expect the fans to come up to an audible level during intense 3d gaming.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

iStat Menus has temperature sensors for the PCIe slots as well as a monitor for the graphics card fan. I'd suggest looking at that to be sure your fans are working. My 5870's fans kick on pretty quickly after starting SC2 but they are pretty quiet. I never hear them over game music...only after quitting as they begin to spin down.

3. allupons thread starter macrumors member

I installed the istat menu and it does indeed have a temperature monitor for the GPU but not a fan speed. The 5870 at idle is 54 C and when sc2 is running it is about 75 C. I can't quite tell if the GPU fan spins up much during that gaming process, but if it does it is certainly minor. What is listed as the PCI fan is the fan that blows over all of the expansion slots, so that isn't the GPU fan either. Any thoughts on how I can get a reading on the actual GPU fan?

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

You're right, I never realized there was a separate fan there :eek:

So I'm not sure of a way to monitor the 5870 fan. I've read that it's designed as a very quiet card. I'll check the temps later tonight right after playing SC2. You could always open the side panel right after playing and see if it's spinning...if you're really worried. Someone else would have to tell if your temps are high.

5. allupons thread starter macrumors member

The fan is literally spinning. It just seems far too quiet as compared to all previous gaming cards I have ever owned while in the middle of modern 3d gaming. Maybe it is just a wonderfully quiet card though, but I am still somewhat paranoid that it isn't spinning the fan up enough as load increases on the card.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can't speak for the 5870, but my GTX285 is a hot card and I can't even hear the fan spin up when gaming.

Since overall the 5870 is a cooler running card, I don't think you should have any issues.