Monitor help for 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bala0509, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Bala0509 macrumors newbie

Bala0509

So I am new to macs and this forum and I have been snooping for a week and just bit the bullet. I just bought a 13" MacBookPro. Love the size and portability. I need a monitor for when it's in use in the office. I would appreciate recommendations for nothing larger than 24". Obviously that means that as much as I want a honking big 27"thunderbolt on my desk it's too big and I have reservations paying that much ! What are my choices?
    Thanks

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should ask in the monitor/displays forum.

This is the Macbook Pro forum, you'll find more knowledgeable people over there.

3. Lennyvalentin, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

If you're not obsessed with having everything Apple on your desk (;)), maybe the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M would be a good fit for you.

It's a 24" 16:10 aspect monitor with an e-IPS panel. While this is a cheaper (and less accurate) version of IPS technology it should still be considerably superior to common el cheapo TN type panels.

It also offers a mini Displayport input, which is helpful when connecting Mac computers, and has a height-adjustable stand which offers pivoting also to view the display in portrait mode (neither of which is available on Apple displays as you probably know.)

Price should be about US$300, give or take. I'm not an american, so I don't have accurate figures. :p
    (Edit: I just checked Dell's US site and it's listed at $399, but maybe Newegg or somesuch will sell it for less, I dunno. Also, it's not mini Displayport, but regular ol' big Displayport - and also DVI, VGA - so some sort of adaptor would be needed to hook it up with a Mac.)

4. wegster macrumors 6502

You can get a good IPS 24" for $400 or so +/- now. Check the latest HP, Samsung, and Dell (higher end, Ultrasharp series) - some of them may well have the same panel, but have a sale or coupon code going. Just think out your inputs in advance - if you only plan to connect a single MBP to it, vs game console, other devices, etc., and do a quick search to ensure no oddities when using with your MBP/OSX - issues should be a rarity, but easier to check before it's delivered. Also decide if you want 16x10 (1920x1200) or 16x9 (1920x1080p) - if work/study is the primary use, I'd go with the 16x10, and just let any HD content scale, but up to you.

5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

7. Smalss macrumors member

I got an HP 24", about $170, very happy! Looks like the ACD too.