Monitor Image Quality Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Traverse, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Before you get angry, yes I have researched this issue. I have read countless threads on Macrumors and other info.

I am going to invest in a new monitor for my MBP. I am not a photographer (light hobby though) or designer. But I will be using clamshell mode so I wanted a good monitor.

1) IPS is much recommended correct? It will produce better color at more angles, correct?

2) Matte vs Glossy screen. I was surprised by the stark arguments here on this issue. Both sides claim that each screen is superior. Which will truly provide more accurate colors?

I love my MB's screen and Apple seems to favor glossy. Also, I have a small matte screen that I am using now. It is okay, but it seems kind of filmy/grainy if you look at it with a white background (like on macrumors). Is one really a preferable option?

Please don't be annoyed. I don't have the money to waste, these are genuine concerns.

Thank you so much!!

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

IPS can provide a viewing angle of up to 178 °. All IPS displays have certain flaws, and IPS ≠ IPS:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel#History

Make sure you buy only displays which use the most advanced technology. The market is still full of old technology IPS or TN displays. A high price is no guarantee for quality. And make sure the display does not use PWM!

Read the details on:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Modern matte displays provide accurate colors, after a careful calibration. Glossy displays are not able to display accurate colors, because they are like a mirrors. What you see on a glossy display is a mixture between the screen contents and the mirrored environment. It's also impossible to work with large amounts of text 8 hours/day, if you see 50 % of the environment on your glossy display. I know no professional application for glossy displays.

And? I do not think this should be your concern.

Modern matte displays are much better.

Then do not buy a mirror (i.e. glossy display).

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you for your help.

The only reason I mentioned Apple's decision was because they do have quality screens and I wondered if the glossy choice had a practical application or if it was just form over function.

I'll go with a matte. Thank you.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Matte screens are absolutely fantastic especially if you have a quality panel in your new monitor. It is really annoying when working near a window with a MacBook Pro, where as my PowerBook G4 would display just fine with absolutely no glare. Backlighting systems will be about equal in terms of brightness. Although many prefer matte screens, there is no guarantee that you will too. I recommend running to the local store and spending time staring at each display you are considering.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you for your help. I decided on what seems to be a nice LG matte monitor.