Monitor life span question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maflynn, Oct 20, 2015.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How long do you think monitors last now a days. I have a LED Apple Cinema Display and while nothing appears to be going wrong. Its about 6 years old. I use this everyday and it can be on sometimes 12+ hours a day.

I wonder if I'm getting close to its useful end of life.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

An LED backlit display, especially, could last forever*. It will dim slightly over time (older fluorescent backlights are more likely to wear out) but unless some part fails it will continue to be good. I'm currently viewing this on a 13 year old Dell monitor. In general these LCD monitors will become obsolete (mine is a 17" with 1280x1024 resolution) before they wear out. If your monitor were an old CRT monitor I'd be congratulating you on its longevity!

*"forever" being longer than you will!

3. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'll second this. I'm still running a 17" HP from 2006, a 19" Dell from 2008 and a 21" LG from 2008. Of course, I primarily work with text, so there's little call to upgrade to the latest shiny.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For many folks what will die is the desire for the given screen size, resolution, and maybe color gamut. For me moving from 27", 2K, sRGB ATD....to....24". 4K, Adobe RGB Dell UP24-14Q was an upgrade. Got my Dell for $350 on eBay. :)

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Interesting, I thought the LED components would last longer then CCFL back lighting, still 6 years (if not more) and counting. I've been debating whether to go to an iMac (not happy with some of Apple's decisions) or keep my monitor even longer.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If we did not need laptops for photo trips, I would be seriously looking at the Skylake based 27" iMac with i7 quad core, 8GB ( I would add more at home), 500GB SSD, and loaded video card. That would make a awesome machine for photo editing. Granted the screens are not 100% AdobeRGB, but they are still very nice.