Monitor Limit? (Quad Monitor pics inside)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adam1080, Apr 16, 2012.

1. adam1080, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

adam1080 macrumors regular

adam1080

Ok, so below are some pics of my work setup. I hooked up my two 24" Asus monitors to my iMac via thunderbolt to HDMI adapters and my ipad is connected via Air Display. This makes a total of 4 individual monitors running off one computer.

My question is, where is the limit? I was surprised to get all of these working. Could I buy a (potentially next gen) thunderbolt display and daisy chain an Asus monitor off that with my adapter and then use the other thunderbolt port on my iMac for the other Asus monitor? Seems feasible, but I wouldn't have believed it until I got 4 monitors working.

(I know some will say this is overkill, but I say why not.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The ATD won't let you connect a Mini DisplayPort device (including adaptors which run of mDP), you need another TB device in-between the ATD and the monitor you want to connect to get it to work... That's ignoring any theoretical limit.

3. johnschackai macrumors newbie

iMac and iPad?

Wow. What a great idea. I don't know your answer.....But Is that an iPad you're using as one of the screens? I would love to do that with my MacBook Pro.
    Second question: how did you change the desktop photo (wallpaper) on the other screens. I can't figure how to change it on my second monitor with my iMac.
    Thanks.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You simply right click on the monitor that you want to change and select "Change Desktop Background". Repeat for each monitor and OSX saves this for you. You can even do it with your virtual desktops/spaces.

5. adam1080 thread starter macrumors regular

adam1080

Yes, I am using AirDisplay(app) to connect to my iMac via wifi. It actually works really well. It is easy to setup and would work great on your MBP, giving you more screen real estate.(even works with new ipad and retina display)

6. mobilemenice80 macrumors newbie

ok im quite new here but i have been looking for info from others on quad monitor setups..

im not sure as to why i cant find anything!

apple says that the 2011 intel-based iMac supports 2 additional monitors.. AWESOME...

but why don't they tell you the truth.. i have gotten 5 going on mine if you count air display to an iPad.

Currently i have two Apple Thunderbolt displays daisy-chained to on thunderbolt port on the iMac and have had two different monitors hooked up to the other through mini display one is a 23"hdtv and the other is a 17"dell monitor

adding an iPad is very easy to do with air display(but i do not have it in the pic)
    but it is shown connected to my macbook pro.

i plan on adding a third thunderbolt to the mix but these are not cheap so it will be alittle while

But my question is why is this info not disclosed by apple??

-Menice

Attached Files:

7. seble macrumors 6502a

Limit? stuff that, I'm much more interested in where you got those beautiful wallpapers!
    Oh and nice setup OP