Monitor, Mouse, and Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nibuoy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. nibuoy macrumors member

Hi all,
    I need a monitor, mouse and keyboard for my new mbp.
    The mouse and keyboard need to be bluetooth, and the monitor, 24-27 inches.
    I want to spend less than 200 USD for the mouse and keyboard, and less than 500 for the monitor.

I will be using the monitor for mainly schoolwork, but will also watch movies, edit photos, and some light gaming (xbox 360).

Any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it's not bluetooth, I prefer the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX, with a tiny USB receiver that stays plugged in to my MBP. The mouse works on any surface, including glass.

[​IMG]

The Apple Wireless Keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever used.

[​IMG]

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Not sure if you "require" a mouse, but the Magic TrackPad is pretty nice!

The Mx/Dx/Lx Logitech mice are my second choice.

Apple BT keyboard is a clear winner.

4. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

Is there any difference between the Logitech Anywhere Mouse and the Performance MX?

Also, how does the Mac DiNovo Edge compare to the Apple KB?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Anywhere is significantly smaller.

Announcement and Comparison

6. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

Are there any other nice bluetooth mice?

Also, how about the display?

7. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

8. muttonhead411 macrumors member

razer orochi, the best BT mouse i have used thus far.

The magic mouse was below par imo.

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I had the Magic Mouse and now use the Magic Trackpad - the trackpad is larger than the trackpad on the MBP and you also get to use the finger gestures which is nice.

I bought my Magic Trackpad new on eBay for $60 shipped and my Apple wireless keyboard, also on eBay, for $60 refurb

10. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

Is it too small?
    I'd like the logitech mx, but i strongly dislike the reviever

11. Mac_Max, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

Mac_Max macrumors 6502

I've always been a fan of Apple keyboards and logitech mice, especially the MX500 series.

If you like the old Apple Design Keyboard, Macally has low profile key clones of the ADK. http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/inputkeymouse.asp

Bluetooth models are available as well. http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=257

Matais makes some nice keyboards including a somewhat expensive Apple Extended Keyboard clone: http://matias.ca/products/index.php

That said, sometimes you can find nice feeling cheapo USB PC keyboards. I use an el cheapo Empirex keyboard on one of my work Macs and like the feel of the keyboard.

And while they are not the most uber-technical 10bit 1000% color gaumat LCDs, I really like the look of LG and Samsung's LCD panels. I picked up a 1080 21.5" LG for $120 about 9 months ago and they have some higher end 24" models for about $200-$300 depending on what niceties you want. The panel is likely sourced from an HDTV (which is why I wanted it) and when I watch TV on the panel the picture is amazing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

BTW, "Glossy" refers to the plastic bezel. The displays themselves are all matte I believe.

12. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

If I were to spend up to $1000 on a monitor, what would it be?
    I heard good things about the Apple Cinema Display and Dell u2711, and if they are really that much better, I might just wait and save up.

13. Vice92 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat, looking for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse; I absolutely hate those little usb receivers.

The apple keyboard looks great and all, but I hate the fact that its not backlit. I know it would kill battery, but I don't really care.

The magic mouse is way to flat for me, but I've yet to find a good alternative.

14. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

What I wound up doing is ordering a refurbished 24" Apple Cinema Display. They show up on the refurb site once in awhile for $599. MUCH less than the 27", and while the resolution isn't as high, the value is definitely there.

15. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1 I have the orochi and it's a great mouse. I would highly recommend it.

16. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

Any other noticeable differences except for size and pixel #?

17. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

18. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

19. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

I've been waiting to get this but proper driver support is keeping me from buying it right now. Can you remap all seven buttons or not yet? I know that Razer themselves were going to release an update in late 2010. Is this the case? Please let me know.

20. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Yup believe the latest firmware fixed any possible MAC issues.

21. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

This was posted by another user that's familiar with the Mamba. If there is no button remapping then it's not worth it for me. I need to be able to utilize any and all available Mac macros. I'll call Razer tomorrow or contact their customer support.

22. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That would be the best thing to do. They upgraded the orochi so it would be odd not to do the same thing for the mamba.

23. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I would recommend the Logitech Solar Keyboard is wireless it isn't bluetooth, and the Magic Mouse. I would go with a Samsung LED Monitor.

24. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

while i like the magic mouse, it is not very comfortable in my hand at all, my logitech mx is much much better.