Resolved Monitor my own network usage?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by James83448, Dec 8, 2015.

1. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

I'm trying to find a free app that will monitor my own network usage over a given time period (monthly). I've Downloaded My Data Mgr for my iPhone, and it works great!

The only app I can find for OS X is PeakHour 3, and it's a paid app.

Basically, I just want an app that will keep track of bandwidth my MBP has used over the month.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The Network tab in the OS X Activity Monitor app keeps track of network data usage, but only until the next restart. It works if you don't restart often.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The best and easiest way to do that is at the router level if your router has that function. Many newer routers do. What model router are you using?

4. James83448 thread starter macrumors regular

James83448

Thanks for the contribution Red, it's a good starting point, although I'd like something persistent, and perhaps showing dates.

The router we have is pretty bad I think, it doesn't support my Chromecast! It's a Thompson TG585.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that's a fairly low end router. I was thinking of something like the Asus RT-AC68U that has monitoring like that built in. You can set it to monitor each IP my the hardware MAC address of each device. It has charts and all that show usage.

Otherwise you will need to figure out how to monitor wth software somehow on every device.

6. James83448 thread starter macrumors regular

James83448

Yeah, I've realised it's a terrible router!

I'm not bothered about monitoring other devices usage, only my MBP's. Basically, I need to prove to my housemates that I'm not the reason we have high internet usage. I can prove this from on iPhone, but my MBP is proving a lot harder to monitor.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not used it myself, but I found this free app Bandwidth+ in the App Store that looks like it would monitor data usage on the Mac for you.

8. James83448 thread starter macrumors regular

James83448

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks very much.

Sending much love and karma your way