Monitor now black

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ziff, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Ziff macrumors newbie

I switched on my iMac this morning and the second monitor is black! Looking in System Preferences it seems to be detected. I've clicked through various options to mirror display, vary resolution and rebooted the Mac but nothing seems to help.:(

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

May be a bad connection in the connecting wire?

Have you tried unplugging the external monitor and plugging it back in?

Sometimes my external display needs to be reset in this manner (by unplugging it and plugging it back in)

3. Ziff thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I assumed you had tried, just thought I'd mention that sometimes my external monitor acts up as well.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Do you have another computer so you can validate that the monitor and cable are in good working condition?

6. Ziff thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly no, I don't have another computer. However, today I switched the computer on and the second monitor is working again!!!!

7. Ziff thread starter macrumors newbie

Aaargh, just started working on dual monitors and noticed that the second one is rather dim, but can't seem to work out how to turn brightness up.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Exactly what model is the monitor?

Maybe there's a problem with the backlight. Is it possible the LCD was working before, but the backlight was off? E.g. an intermittent electrical connection in the backlight.