Monitor of new LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Saluki Alex, May 16, 2007.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I created a thread a while back about deciding between getting an LCD TV or just getting a larger LCD monitor for next year when I'm living in my apartment in college.

Truth is, I really don't watch much TV anyway with the exception of the Daily Show/Colbert Report and Mythbusters. My fraternity brothers whom I'll be living with watch these shows too, so I would imagine I could just watch those few shows in the living room.

If I go the route of the LCD monitor, I'm going to get the Dell 24" Ultrasharp. It has component and s-video connections so I assume I can connect my PS2 or DVD player if I wanted to.

My question is this, does this seem like a good idea, and to further clarify, is it wise to use a monitor as your display for a PS2 or other game console and DVD player?

At this point, I'm still on the fence. I really don't need a larger display (I'm a Political Science major), and the 15" screen on my MBP is sufficient, but I've always wanted to use a larger screen.

2. MajereXYU macrumors regular

Go with the DELL 24".

You can plug in your PS2 (doubles as DVD player), can watch DVD on your Macbook Pro and as for TV, if you have a set-top box from your cable provider, you can hook it up (composite, s-video or component) and if you don't, you can always get an Elgato Eye-TV, which are great TV Tuners and which will even allow you to timeshift and record shows for later viewing (not a lot of free time in college).

24" is plenty big if you intend to use it in a dorm room.
    I would go with the DELL 24" monitor myself.

Good luck!

P-S : dual monitor on OS X is really well implemented and a joy to use and 15" + 24" of screen real estate is nothing to sneeze at.

3. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

My major concern is, will using a monitor in this fashion (especially using it as a TV) wear the monitor out sooner?