Monitor only works with one specific cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Frocktar, May 22, 2013.

1. Frocktar, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

Frocktar macrumors member

Has anyone come across this before? My 27" monitor only works with one specific cable. I don't understand how that can be. Its definitely a dual link cable, I've tried a few different ones that I know work on my other screen.
    M stumped. The monitor than does this a cheapie, but it still doesn't make sense.

Any help would be dandy.

P.S. - I need a longer cable to be able to place it where I want it.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

What kind of monitor is it? What system are you using it for?

3. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

Its a cheapo X-Star 27" 2560x1440 monitor driver by a GTX285 in a Mac Pro 3,1.

4. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

5. rivettmj macrumors member

I'm interested to see what the solution is for this, I looked at what the specs are listed as (admittedly hard to find) and cant see anywhere that there is a custom wired cable required, it just lists a DVI-D cable as a requirement.

The only two options that I can see would be that there is a custom cable (very unlikely as these are commodity parts based monitors and it would seem silly to have custom boards printed for them) or that this monitor is more sensitive to interference and the new cable is just on the wrong side of threshold for it.

----------

Another option you might look at would be a dual link cable extender

http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-d-dual-link-extension-cable.html
    (for example)

that would solve a "custom cable" problem, but would not solve a "cable is picking up interference" option if you can find one cheep on ebay it might be a good test (and even if it doesn't work I find having extra cables around is always handy! :D )

6. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input mate. I thought about the custom cable thing but prob doesn't add up, not only price wise as you indicated but wouldn't it need to be wired up a certain way to get signal from the computer?

Ill try the extender idea though, as you say, at worst ill have a spare cable extender. And I like cables :)